Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: A few notes for British 1st time visitors

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mizzy
    i have got to say one of the reasons i now post very little on this forum is clearly demonstrated on this topic, the first post is trying to be helpful and informative and as a first time visitor i would have found it helpful

the 2nd post whilst also possibly trying to be helpful??? does come across as a little rude Blott and to finish with a wink i think is unacceptable also, it's like i'll type what i want here and if it comes across a little rude well then i'll add a friendly wink and it will excuse the rudeness

i have stayed away for a while now but looked across at this forum this morning and this topic really saddened me in how it was first responded too

florida does have good and bad things about it just like everywhere in the world and everyone should be entitled to their opinions without ridicule and in my opinion ridicule is giving the rundown on the ingrediants of the brown sauce it is uncalled for and offers exactly what to the reply? how is a list of ingrediants helpful in your post if not to ridicule?

the regulars and villa advertisers will not say it but i will - quite frankly i am appalled at such a rude response from a forum administrator
    [/quote]

I have been a member of this forum for a while now and although I rarely post - I do read most of the threads.

I am posting now to show my support to Mizzy. I agree totally with your post.

I too find the majority of Blott's responses not only patronising but also unhelpful. The starter post in this thread is evidently there to help first time visitors to Florida and no where does it state that the ingredients to Brown Sauce need be listed. If you don't like brown sauce Blott, then don't take it with you...simple.

Also, it is true, not everyone stays on the 27 [msnwink], however, not everyone wants to stay on Crescent Lakes either, but apologies, I realise that Crescent Lakes is a sugar coated wonderland that all Florida vistors must see!

Every country has its good points, but also its bad and since this post is aimed at 1st time visitors, I think it is important that the not so great facts are pointed out.

As Mizzy says, one would not expect such rude, patronising and useless responses from a supposed 'administrator'.

[msnwink][msnwink][msnwink][msnwink]

...I put winks after, so I'm off the hook right?

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Farndon5

I have been a member of this forum for a while now and although I rarely post - I do read most of the threads.

I too find the majority of Blott's responses not only patronising but also unhelpful. The starter post in this thread is evidently there to help first time visitors to Florida and no where does it state that the ingredients to Brown Sauce need be listed. If you don't like brown sauce Blott, then don't take it with you...simple.

Also, it is true, not everyone stays on the 27 [msnwink], however, not everyone wants to stay on Crescent Lakes either, but apologies, I realise that Crescent Lakes is a sugar coated wonderland that all Florida vistors must see!

Every country has its good points, but also its bad and since this post is aimed at 1st time visitors, I think it is important that the not so great facts are pointed out.

As Mizzy says, one would not expect such rude, patronising and useless responses from a supposed 'administrator'.

[/quote]

I think you have very shrewdly picked up on a lot of points there my friend. I have been a member for a long time now but very rarely post now as the same old people feel the need to pick apart helpful posts.
    The OP has put a lot of thought into their post and has highlighted things I didn't know and I have been 11 times. People will not go to the trouble of posting and helping each other if they are treated this way.

Heidi

Florida Junior
    I also read everyday and rarely post, I remember Mizzy and her friend as a regular and would like to see them back here. On another point I agree with Mizzy wholeheartedly, everyone is entitled to there view point and the original poster was only trying to be helpful-don't knock them!

Sue

Florida Expert
    Thanks Nina. Yes we were in completely the wrong neck of the woods. So glad we didn't waste any longer than we did looking for a shop that we were never going to find.[msnembarrased]

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    Thanks Nina. Yes we were in completely the wrong neck of the woods. So glad we didn't waste any longer than we did looking for a shop that we were never going to find.[msnembarrased]
    [/quote]You're very welcome. It's well worth going to if only for a drool! I'm so glad we found it and I'm sure it would be a Godsend to anyone with special dietary needs. Ours are just piggy [msnembarrased].

I know people have mentioned that they can't find 'proper' cheese in the US supermarkets. US cheeses all seem to be what my husband calls plastic ie very processed, although I have noticed they are getting better. The cheese counter at WholeFoods is huge and much better than many over here, so worth a trip if you need a cheese fix!

Strangely I buy American peanut butter in the U.K. Tesco's sell an all natural one from the Peanut Butter Co. but until WholeFoods opened I couldn't find one in Florida that wasn't packed with sugar, salt and oil!

Thanks to Mrs Roger for starting this thread.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mrs Brizzle
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Farndon5

[/quote]

I think you have very shrewdly picked up on a lot of points there my friend. I have been a member for a long time now but very rarely post now as the same old people feel the need to pick apart helpful posts.
    The OP has put a lot of thought into their post and has highlighted things I didn't know and I have been 11 times. People will not go to the trouble of posting and helping each other if they are treated this way.

[/quote]

I agree!! I have only just really joined but having read that response and now looking back at other ones it is quite clear that 'Blott' whoever they may be, evidently does not want other people to appear to know more about Florida than they do!!

Is this it? Are we not allowed to offer new information without the fear of being told off by an administrator and told that we are wrong?

I stand by you all!!

Free Speech!

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    We do take the odd thing with us but usually to save money. Why would I want to pay 3 times the price at home for decent tea bags?

Quite honestly, I do find that generally speaking there isn't a big difference between the food in Florida and that I get at home. Supermarkets and restaurants offer very similar products although there's a lot more sugar and salt in US goods. If we really want to eat 'like the locals", then that's likely to be pasta, pizza, burgers and meals based on fried meat products followed by high sugar content deserts which are much like those over here but usually in bigger portions. If we think that American families are eating meatloaf, grits, cornbread and the like all the time, we're kidding ourselves.

I'm far from unadventurous with food and love to try different things. I'm in Dallas this weekend and will be eating at a Tex Mex restaurant because you can't easily find quality food of that type in the UK. It's much the same in the South West of the USA where there is a distinct cuisine which I like but in Florida, while I never ever go hungry, I don't find the food to be so different in the way it is in Europe or other parts of the world.
    [/quote]

I couldn't agree more, everything I see in a Florida supermarket may look a little different, but it is all familiar food, things I can identify and predict what it is going to taste like. You want to try picking your way through my local supermarket in Shanghai, I have no idea what half of it even is and some parts of the animal that the sell on the meat counter, well... I wouldn't have classed it as the bit you would eat.

My first trip to a supermarket here took me hours as I tried to find things I knew I would like!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I no longer post that much because of the mails I've had from a few people upset at being told their holiday will be rubbish because they had already booked a hotel..I also have a few other problem with advice..
    But I mod myself and it is a hard job...for the most part this is a very useful site full of good people..John and Co put in a lot of time to keep this site running well

I have to agree that people are put off posting which is sad..FL is a great place to holiday...but to make it a holiday to remember you do need to see the down sides and get real advice about how to deal with them..mozzies come to mind on that one..

maybe we could remember that its real people we are talking too who have ALREADY booked in some cases a holiday of a life time..it may not be your idea of a great holiday but if its already booked be nice and those people may come back and book a villa next time..

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    I no longer post that much because of the mails I've had from a few people upset at being told their holiday will be rubbish because they had already booked a hotel..I also have a few other problem with advice..
    But I mod myself and it is a hard job...for the most part this is a very useful site full of good people..John and Co put in a lot of time to keep this site running well

I have to agree that people are put off posting which is sad..FL is a great place to holiday...but to make it a holiday to remember you do need to see the down sides and get real advice about how to deal with them..mozzies come to mind on that one..

maybe we could remember that its real people we are talking too who have ALREADY booked in some cases a holiday of a life time..it may not be your idea of a great holiday but if its already booked be nice and those people may come back and book a villa next time..

[/quote]

Well, as the poster of this topic, I am dismayed, some say that it is detrimental to Fl, tell me where, if saying coffee is bitter then stake me out. It was meant as a help to [u]</u>first time visitors[u]</u> as it says in the title, to create world war three as it appears to have was not in the plan.
    How anyone can think that we are against Fl beats me, we own a villa there and we go every year, that really sounds like we hate the place doesn't it?
    Roger

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    I do find it very interesting that the two new posters who are taking a shot at our very hard working and well respected moderator Blott, both joined yesterday and both posted from the same IP address. Could it possibly be that they are one and the same person by any chance?

Perhaps I'm a bit more thick skinned but I could not see any issues with Blottie's posting. All she was doing is pointing out that Brown Sauce may contain items you are not allowed to bring into the USA yourself and thus saving someone getting fined at customs. She might have been a bit direct in the way she said this, but that does not make her rude or anything else the bogus users sought to suggest and she certainly does not deserve the comments that were aimed directly at her.

I would like to remind people that we will not tolerate anything other than total courtesy to any forum member. Anyone who posts anything that is construed as a personal attack has no place on here, free speach or not. Free speach is no excuse for rudeness [msnsad].

Finally many thanks to the few who have tried their best to take what could be (and is) a very interesting forum topic totally off-topic with their own personal gripes (for which there is a lot more history than they are letting on here). Can I politely ask that we stick to topic and do not make any further personal attacks [msnsmile].