Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A few notes for British 1st time visitors

The range of fresh coffee in the USA is fantastic. Of course that is completely different drink to the instant brands though.
    Always started the day with a fresh pot of coffee by the pool, ahh those were the days...

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
    I'm a bit of a coffee nut and the nearest I've found to my usual is Tasters Choice- i noticed this time that there are a wide selection of English brands in the ethnic aisle at Walmart-very pricey though obviously because they're imported.
    [/quote]

Florida Expert
    I love going to foreign countries precisely because they are foreign! I love to try new things but it doesn't mean I have to like them! (Root beer is a case in point!!) Not everyone who lives in the UK likes white sliced bread for instance but we know what the alternatives are. I agree I find the bread rather sweet except the gorgeous bread from Publix that was recommended. I think part of the problem with visitors travelling to the US is that the scale of things is often larger than we are used to so things in supermarkets for example may be harder to find; I think this post is great for pointing people in the right direction! A little tip to add; if you can't find something 'British' in the supermarket try the 'foreign foods' aisle; if not try a US substitute; you never know you may just like it!!
    No matter how many times we go over we always find something new to try, new places to visit; it's part of the attraction of Florida.[msnsmile2]
    Dawn

Gold 5 Star Member
    I thought it was a great post..myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..

Yorkshire Tea Bags are available from The Publix Supermarkets, don't care how much they cost.

Being from Yorkshire was a pleasant surprise when we found them.

[clap]

When holidaying, we do like to do as the locals do and feel like we are abroad but you can't beat a good cup of tea

Gold 5 Star Member
    The only thing I still have shipped in is gravy...I got rid of the last thing that says I'm English this year in my home..its now a true New England place..I have I think one flag that shows I'm a Brit...I will always keep one..I may live like a native..but I will always be British

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..
    [/quote]
    I have to agree with Chrizzy...I am astounded when I hear people talking about taking teabags and sauces and gravy and whatnot on holiday! Part of the reason for going on holiday for me is NOT doing what I normally do at home...and that includes eating. I want to try new stuff, and that's part of the excitement of going anywhere (not just USA) on holiday as far as I'm concerned. I love my coffee, but if I couldn't get my regular brand (or even anything similar) for 2-3 weeks, who cares - I'm on holiday

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to take foodstuffs in my suitcase. But (as Chrizzy says) each to their own, and that's what makes life interesting [msnwink]
    Keith

Florida Junior
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
    myself I have no idea why you need English food when you are only away from the country for around 2 weeks..but each to his own..
    [/quote]
    I have to agree with Chrizzy...I am astounded when I hear people talking about taking teabags and sauces and gravy and whatnot on holiday! Part of the reason for going on holiday for me is NOT doing what I normally do at home...and that includes eating. I want to try new stuff, and that's part of the excitement of going anywhere (not just USA) on holiday as far as I'm concerned. I love my coffee, but if I couldn't get my regular brand (or even anything similar) for 2-3 weeks, who cares - I'm on holiday

Nothing, absolutely nothing, would entice me to take foodstuffs in my suitcase. But (as Chrizzy says) each to their own, and that's what makes life interesting [msnwink]
    [/quote]

I have to agree, We love trying food out there that you would not see at home. Don't always like it but most things we do. The only thing I crave is English custard. I would love to order it on my diabetic cherry pie at bob evans (or was it perkins)

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Sniff
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Not trying to justify why I take foodstuff in my case but it is sometimes more than just a liking for certain foods. I feel awful if I have dairy (hence rice milk and salad cream), my daughter throws up with gluten hence those foods and I have drunk redbush for so long I can't stand ordinary tea! I love trying different stuff and when we're in Europe we tend to eat where the locals eat. Florida food is fantastic.

Nina, can you give me some directions for Wholesome Foods? We tried to find a place last time that was supposed to be just off the 192 but we never found it[msnsad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    We do take the odd thing with us but usually to save money. Why would I want to pay 3 times the price at home for decent tea bags?

Quite honestly, I do find that generally speaking there isn't a big difference between the food in Florida and that I get at home. Supermarkets and restaurants offer very similar products although there's a lot more sugar and salt in US goods. If we really want to eat 'like the locals", then that's likely to be pasta, pizza, burgers and meals based on fried meat products followed by high sugar content deserts which are much like those over here but usually in bigger portions. If we think that American families are eating meatloaf, grits, cornbread and the like all the time, we're kidding ourselves.

I'm far from unadventurous with food and love to try different things. I'm in Dallas this weekend and will be eating at a Tex Mex restaurant because you can't easily find quality food of that type in the UK. It's much the same in the South West of the USA where there is a distinct cuisine which I like but in Florida, while I never ever go hungry, I don't find the food to be so different in the way it is in Europe or other parts of the world.

Gold 5 Star Member
    That's why this post is so useful as people can feel more confident about not taking things as they now have the info to help them find the proper supermarkets with a range big enough to suit everyone. Even my great niece who is 3 and has severe allergies was ok as her mum found enough that she could eat.

The Whole Foods shop is up near Sand Lake road
    Stores near ZIP code 33897

Orlando

16.4 miles northeast
    8003 Turkey Lake Road
    Phillips Crossing
    Orlando, FL 32819
    Phone: 407.355.7100
    Fax: 407.355.7101

www.wholefoodsmarket.com
    has maps to help youu find the stores.
    Babblin Boo