Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge for Tank Of Fuel

Florida Newbie

Charge for Tank Of Fuel

hi im torn between silver or gold option on a standard size SUV there is currently £70 difference between them.

does anybody have any experience of what rental companies may charge for a tank of fuel im thinking of booking through Alamo.

thanks brett

Gold 5 Star Member
    The key factor is whether you need more than 2 drivers. If you don't, then the Silver option is currently much better value because the cost of refilling the tank yourself doesn't come to anything like the price difference of the Gold option. I'll bet you could fill the tank about 3 times for £70.

I'm sure somebody else will clarify the slightly different approaches of each rental company but, generally speaking, your best bet is to go for the Silver and ensure that you return it with a FULL (not nearly full) tank.

If you have more than 2 drivers then you have to pay extra for each one with Silver so it might be better to go for Gold in that case.

I believe (but might be I misunderstand the whole thing) that bringing back the car with a full tank on Silver to avoid being charged is a possibility solely with Budget.

On Silver with Alamo and Dollar you get charged for a full tank, no matter how full or empty you bring the car back. What you really need to find out is how much does the company you're interested in charges for a gallon... can be double or triple retail price. I'm planning on renting from Alamo in Kansas City in July, and I'm still trying to figure out how much they charge for a gallon, and I've probably talked to every agent in the Midwest [msnscared]... obviously an information they don't want to give. I think I'll take the chance, as the difference is about £80.

Beware when (booking Silver) they (Alamo and Dollar) will tell you at the counter to bring it back full to avoid charges, they might very well charge you anyway, as stated in your contract. Two years ago I was charged 40 euros, and it came as a surprise as I had been told I was fine when I drove the car back full... but they were only words of course. [msnwink]

Administrator
    Dollar usually (if not always) allow you to return full to avoid re-filling charges. I would always recommend if you do this (also with Budget) that you keep the receipt you have from re-fuelling. Then if you are charged for fuel you can prove the tank was refilled.

Budget in particular are clamping down on re-fuelling. If you fill up say in Kissimmee and drive to Orlando, the needle will still show full. In the past this has been fine. Now, Budget are filling the tank of each car that shows full, and will pass on the charge at around $8 per gallon (and will probably manage get a couple of gallons in the tank).

Alamo you must always return empty and you will be charged for a full tank of fuel but only marginally over the current pump price.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger

Alamo you must always return empty and you will be charged for a full tank of fuel but only marginally over the current pump price.
    [/quote]

Roger, to your knowledge is this true out of Florida too, in my case Missouri (MCI)?

Administrator
    As far as I know - we have often taken up the case with Alamo for them to allow cars to be returned full, but they declined saying they are very fair with their fuel charges (unlike others).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by roger

[/quote]

Roger, to your knowledge is this true out of Florida too, in my case Missouri (MCI)?
    [/quote]

Thanks!! DH wanted Alamo anyway as he likes their choice of cars better. At least now I feel like I have a sensible reason to choose them

Florida Expert
    So what is acceptable for a full tank? We filled up on the way to the airport but cannot remeber where but obviously you will fill up and use some to get you to the airport. I prefer to return full otherwise DH wants to get to the airport on fumes which I find worrying[msnscared]

Florida Savvy
    Dollar usually (if not always) allow you to return full to avoid re-filling charges.

Having discussed this on the forum prior to my journey, I argued the case for returning my car full on the Silver Option. This was refused and I was told 'the company who sold you the tickets knows that you can't ask for that!'
    My wife travelling separately had similar problems but they gave in with her.
    Ian

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by IanW
    ollar usually (if not always) allow you to return full to avoid re-filling charges.

Having discussed this on the forum prior to my journey, I argued the case for returning my car full on the Silver Option. This was refused and I was told 'the company who sold you the tickets knows that you can't ask for that!'
    My wife travelling separately had similar problems but they gave in with her.
    Ian[/quote]I've used Dollar twice outside of florida and booked the silver option and asked if i can return full, with no problem. I think it may come down to how busy and who you get at the counter.
    Wilf & Sarah