Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gulf coast villa ?

here is a photo I took of a cheeky heron at Stump Pass.

One of the things I love about Stump pass is the wildlife. We often see dolphins swimming past and there are so many different birds they often outnumber the sunbathers [msncool]

Bernadette

Florida Savvy
    Although it seems that there isn't exactly what I described but I have gathered a lot of usefull tips from all the reactions. I am already checking out the places that were pointed out to me. Thanks again

Gold 5 Star Member
    Don't worry, I am not forgetting it[msnsmile2]Dinner at South Beach then a walk at sunset to get some good photos[8D]

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
    And don't forget ... we're photographing the sunset there this summer Ruth!! [msnsmile2][msnsmile2]
    [/quote]
    Ruth

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by peterB
    Although it seems that there isn't exactly what I described but I have gathered a lot of usefull tips from all the reactions. I am already checking out the places that were pointed out to me. Thanks again
    [/quote]

I've just realised that the South Seas Resort on Captiva has all the things you're looking for. Make sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices.

I really would not recommend the south seas resort. It looks really nice in the pictures. During our last few weeks in Florida we decided to travel around Florida a bit and stayed there. We had only booked 5 nights and it was not cheap. Booked into a 'beach front condo'. First one was ver worn and a tip. Second one was not much better and 3rd was ok but nothing special. We lasted 2 nights, everywhere you needed to get to was by walking on the road, with a wheelchair this was a real pain. The walk to the beach meant you had to go past all the communal trash bins. To me beach front should mean just that, out your door onto beach. The harbour area was nice but when the breeze turned it really stank and I mean ewwww nasty. This was apparently due to a poor design which meant dead water stays in the harbour area and 'nothing can be done about it'. We really are easily pleased bu this place disappointed us. Tips were built in everywhere so no incentive for anything other than stiff, abrupt service. The 'best' place to eat was right next to the stinky harbour. So we insisted of take out food, which was mediocre and expensive. The condos were small and compact and nowhere near the standard of the villas we maintained back in Kissimmee. It appears that beach front means very basic accommodation, I guess they assume your going to so impressed with the location that you may not notice. The third condo we had was apparently one of the best! Second evening we shared with next doors radio out on the balcony. Which I would have thrown into the see had we been truly beach front.
    I spent the second evening on the internet (using dial up as no connection) finding somewhere decent to make up for it.
    Also it was a pretty boring place, beach was nice but that was about it, nothing else of interest for more than a couple of days. We could not get out fast enough. We were very disappointed. Each to their own I guess. $400 per night plus a compulsary $20 daily fee fee for access to pool, beach chairs and wifi that did not work.
    Due to the terms we were told that no refund was due so they expect to keep my $1600 for the remaining 3 nights. Luckily amex's legal cover helped with that!
    We ended up back in a private villa, cost was less. Accommodation 10 x the standard. Plus not having to 'bag' pool side beds was a big plus.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    [/quote]

I've just realised that the South Seas Resort on Captiva has all the things you're looking for. Make sure you're sitting down when you look up the prices.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    I really would not recommend the south seas resort.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Did you visit before Hurricane Charley? I ask because it was closed for around 2 years after and has been completely refurbished (it took a direct hit). I think it only re-opened about a year ago and might be back to its best. I have stayed there myself would agree that before that it was getting in need of some investment. It does however have homes with pools to rent within the property and ticks all the other boxes peterb is looking for.

I wasn't necessarily recommending it and it is without doubt very expensive. If I could afford it, I'd probably go back but I agree that the old condos were very pricey for what they then offered. As you say, there are some amazing properties on Captiva for rent outside the resort but they don't offer all the aspects required.

The pictures posted by Tonish in this thread shows what kind of thing is available on Captiva (at a price):

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37969.asp

To be fair yes it was before the Hurricane. I have had a look at the map and I cannot see as the layout has changed much. The photos of the condos look similar on the site but that had no relation to what we actually got furnishing wise. This may have changed now but I wonder what it will be like once it starts showing wear and tear.
    It looks fabulous on the web site and did back when we booked. The beaches on the site look much brighter, as though groomed. That certainly was not the case when we went.
    It sounds like am I a litter bitter, which I am! With Alex in his and the rigmarole of travelling we always paid for good accommodation to ensure a relaxing trouble free stay. This was the only time we were let down.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by florida4sun
    I really would not recommend the south seas resort.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Did you visit before Hurricane Charley? I ask because it was closed for around 2 years after and has been completely refurbished (it took a direct hit). I think it only re-opened about a year ago and might be back to its best. I have stayed there myself would agree that before that it was getting in need of some investment. It does however have homes with pools to rent within the property and ticks all the other boxes peterb is looking for.

I wasn't necessarily recommending it and it is without doubt very expensive. If I could afford it, I'd probably go back but I agree that the old condos were very pricey for what they then offered. As you say, there are some amazing properties on Captiva for rent outside the resort but they don't offer all the aspects required.

The pictures posted by Tonish in this thread shows what kind of thing is available on Captiva (at a price):

http://www.orlando-guide.info/forums/topic_37969.asp

[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Fair comment.

If I did go back it wouldn't be to a condo or hotel room. I have to say that I felt a bit like a Poor Relation last time.

Hi guys

Been away for a while,just spotted this thread.

Last year we looked round the South Seas resort and I must say it was impressive. Not for me, I'm a villa man, but there were plenty of families there. We met a couple of people who claimed it was perfect and they would definitely be back. Mrs Tonish was quite tempted(I assure you she's not easily impressed)on the basis that it would be great for the kids.

Didn't see into any of the condos so can't comment on their maintenance, but the rest of the resort was beautifully kept. Assuming the condos have been upgraded since the hurricane, I would think it's just the sort of thing peterB is looking for.
    Tonish

Florida Savvy
    I must say that South Seas resort is indeed the type of place we are looking for. Unfortunately it is "slightly" above our budget but I do appreciate that this resort was pointed out to us.