Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Never again

Florida Newbie

Never again

Our 19th and final trip. They messed up our entry documents because the guy on the desk was chatting to his 'mate'. The system then blocked us and we spent 5 hours in room 101. A detention centre crammed with people the bulk of whom were innocent victims intertwined with criminals being marched off in handcuffs. FIVE hours with two teenage boys being shouted at, told to sit down, told to turn phones off, people were missing connecting flights, people with infants,a 78 year old couple, Miami is a disgrace.

I've written to Governor Crist and The Consulate in Miami. Anybody else experience this? There were so manty people in that room it simply must be a routine experience.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Fortunately not, despite at least 30 trips to the US and also having passed through Miami on occasions.

I honestly believe that your experience must be relatively unusual, given the millions of people who travel to the US. There must be a very few number of travellers who experience this sort of thing although it probably made it worse that it wasn't your fault for doing anything wrong.

I do think that the same type of thing happens in the UK also, it's just that we very rarely get to hear about it because of the small numbers involved.

I know it still must all be fresh in your mind and I think it's right that you should complain about it but please don't let it put you off visiting the US as the chances of anything similar happening again to you must be infinitesimal.
    blott

Blott I am the same as you having made over 30 trips to the US and have passed through immigration at several airports including Miami without any problems - the immigration officers have now got to the point of joking with us that the USA must be getting something right as we keep coming back so often.

The only problem I have ever had was on the last trip where the system reported a discepancy in my finger prints. Although I had to go to side room near immigration it was not in the least bit frightening. The immigration officer reassured me that he could see I was not a problem having been in and out so many times but he could not let me through until 'Computer says yes'. In the room there were several people of Carribean/third world origin but no one was upset, nobody was in hand cuffs and at no time was I concerned that there was a real problem. In the end the office I saw was very apolegetic and said the discepancy had probably been caused by lack of oils on my fingers (I had washed my hands shortly before being finger printed). Their advice was to wipe my fingers over my forehead next time to get some natural oils on them.

This has not put me off of looking forward to my next trip to Florida.

Mo
    Maureen Green

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
    In the end the office I saw was very apolegetic and said the discepancy had probably been caused by lack of oils on my fingers (I had washed my hands shortly before being finger printed). Their advice was to wipe my fingers over my forehead next time to get some natural oils on them.

This has not put me off of looking forward to my next trip to Florida.

Mo[/quote]That is interesting Mo. The last time we went my MIL came with us. She had never been to the US before. When she came to give her finger print she put her finger on the 'reader' and the officer offered her a small tin with something that looked like 'burt's bees' lip balm in it. She said her fingers were very dry and the machine could not read her finger print. The tip of running your finger over your forehead is one I will try to remember!!
    Frances

Gold 5 Star Member
    We arrived in Houston in April and the officer explained that they could not match both of Cathy's hands up with the records on the system. They took her off to a holding room and re-printed her. Took about 20-30 mins but she was allowed to go. The same thing happened 4 years ago in Chicago. She spoke with the officers and they told her it was due to dehydration.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx

Florida Expert
    I had to do the fingerprint session twice on the last visit - It's right if you have dry skin sometimes these things do not register.
    Linda

Florida Expert
    My excuse for the fingerprinting not working is all that hard work I do making sure the Villa is tip top, my fingerprints have rubbed off [msnsmile2]
    Dorothy

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm sure your experience is unusual but I'm not surprised it happened in Miami which has more international arrivals than any other airport in the US and is used as a major training venue for Immigration officials. I try to avoid it whenever possible

I've had a couple of pretty unpleasant 'secondary checks' (not as bad as your experience) when I've been travelling alone and my wife is asked about a particular couple of previous trips every time we enter. It's a shame you've been put off but you aren't alone in finding the conduct of a small minority of the officials unacceptable.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Murph, just out of curiosity, what did the INS chappie mess up?
    Steve

Super Moderator
    I have been through Miami on my own, with my husband and with sons and have never had any problems - apart from the first time when our then 15 year old son with long hair was told by a very tall large guard to get his haircut and his brother quickly shoved him as he realised he was about to comment on his lack of hair (shaved head) and we all wanted a holiday in the States not a speedy return trip to England.