Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental Worry

Florida Newbie

Continental Worry

Hello - new to the forum so apologies for waffle, I was wondering if someone could give me some sort of reassurance over the flights I have booked. We fly Continental from Birmingham to Orlando via Newark on the 29 Jun - outward we have 3 hours 30 mins transit - that seems fine however return journey we only have 42 mins at Newark to connect for flight back. Do we have to clear customs and change terminals? I have tried to change the flights but have been told that due to ticket fare no changes are allowed.I would really appreciate any feedback.
    Mrs B

Florida Expert
    On your return journey you do not have to deal with Customs or baggage but 42 minutes in my mind is not an acceptable time, it can take that amount of time to land, the plane to get to a Gate, get off the plane and then you have to find your connecting Gate.

I fly Continental at least three times a year on what is stated as a 'non-changeable ticket' and have often changed flights due to Continental altering flight times - go back to Continental, and ask them how you are suppose to do a connection in 42 minutes.

Quite often on the first flight the cabin crew will say 'please let those with connecting flights off first' - if you believe that, you believe in fairies.

Go back to Continental and stand your ground.

There is a daily flight to Bristol, leaves Newark at 8.55 pm and arrives Bristol 8.55 am - it is not that far up the motorway to Birmingham, maybe not what you would choose to do, but it may be an answer.
    Clare R

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for your quick response Clare, when I spoke to Continental I did ask what would happen if we missed that flight due to delays etc and they told me we would be put on the next flight to Birmingham (next day) I did mention the Bristol flight and asked if we would be able to get on that flight (if seats available) and yet again was told that the tickets fare would not allow it.I think that I will need to be more assertive and see where that gets me !
    Mrs B

Gold 5 Star Member
    Where there are tight connecting times, and the Orlando plane is a little late, they will usually hold the UK flight. There are often quite a few UK bound passengers from Orlando and no airline will fly tranatlantic with empty seats if they can help it.

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's been said many times on here but it's no less true - if Continental didn't think the connection was possible, they wouldn't sell the ticket. There's no doubt it's tight but I really wouldn't worry about it.

I'd actually be more concerned with the long layover on the outbound.

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I have flown continental for 5 years now.

I always make sure I have at least 1.40 mins or so on the home bound connection, laely I have been booking a 3hour layover

One time in the summer about 3 years ago. we were delayed leaving Orlando by an hour, still thinking we had enough time to make the connection as you just go from one gate to the other, no check in, no bags to handle etc. We were further delayed and we landed in New York ten minutes after our Bristol flight should have left, we run from the plane, to the next gate, gate changed, run again. we barely made it on the flight. They do not hold the flight unless exceptional circumstances. Flight plans are filed it costs the airline to much money in delaying a plane for passengers missing. Newark airport if a very busy airport and even those you might land on the runway in plenty of time, they have a huge amount of ground traffic. and it can take upto 45 mins to get to the gate

We have normally taken the flight 36 from Orlando to Newark as this flight is ticketed as being the Edinburgh flight. When we were last out in March, we were told that anybody that was booked on this flight that was going on to Edinburgh would be reticketed for the next flight as they would not make the connection.

I would definitely change the time.
    CERI

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by CERICROWLEY

We have normally taken the flight 36 from Orlando to Newark as this flight is ticketed as being the Edinburgh flight. When we were last out in March, we were told that anybody that was booked on this flight that was going on to Edinburgh would be reticketed for the next flight as they would not make the connection.
    [/quote]

But they don't need to hold the Edinburgh plane because there are 2 flights there so any re-ticketed passengers will still go the same day. As there's just 1 Birmingham flight I think they'd be much more likely to hold the flight if there was a fair number of passengers delayed.

I can see why Continental wouldn't want to change the flight because it's pretty clear that they see the connection as perfectly achievable.

Florida Expert
    I must have taken the return flight with 42 minutes layover twice and not been a problem.
    Rose

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2098.aspx

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I have spoken to a fair number of passengers travelling to bristol on the newark flight over the past five years, and there have been quite a number of them that have missed the connection by just minutes, and they were told the flight has a schedule they cannot miss, especially international routes, as they get penalised to high by both the US and UK airports.

After our one near miss a couple of years ago now. I always make sure there is adequate time now. We were delayed on our last time out in March as I said. they closed the door on time, although we had a three hour queue on the ground to take off, Did we lose passengers on that flight yes.

If you are saying the assumption is that the flight will be held for a significant number of people. How do you know that the OP will not be the only one.

It is better to err on the side of caution.

We were very blasay about the connection for the first two years, only keeping it to a minimum. Knowing how Newark work now. we feel a bit more time in between is far better. So you sit in the airport for a bit longer. is that not a better solution than missing the plane completely and having to spend the night and wait again for hours for the next plane. There is also no guarantee that you will be on the next flight. You go on standby.

We met a couple that were teachers a couple of years ago when we were travelling back in August. They missed the bristol connection and were desperate to get back for the start of school. they had been waiting 48 hours. and it looked like they would be waiting another day. Finally they did get one seat back home that day.

I really dont want to paint a bad picture of flights etc. but after having such a great time in Florida. it would not be a very good note to end on if you missed the flight and had a very long wait to get home, as I said a few hours wait is far better than 24 hours.
    CERI

Florida Expert
    I agree with Ceri totally on this as I too do the Newark/Bristol flight each time.

Also Mrs B has to realise that she is travelling in July I presume for her return flight and weather conditions in Orlando have to be taken into consideration - it could be raining!!!
    Clare R