Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Provision for Autistic children in parks

Florida Newbie

Provision for Autistic children in parks

Following on from the disabled post below, I just wanted to check if anything has changed in the provisions for Autistic children in the last couple of years. I was a little concerned after reading that post.

We will be travelling out for 3 weeks in July with my 9 year old, who has Aspergers and ADHD. When we were last there 2 years ago, we got a pass from Disney that allowed us to take him down the fast track queues. In Universal we also got a fast track pass. We had to take proof of his conditional along to the Guest Relations office in the parks. Does this arrangement still apply?

He gets extremely agitated if he has to wait in the queues. A single bad experience would be the end of the world as far as he is concerned, and would ruin his whole day. This then has a knock on effect on the rest of the family.

We were planning on doing 7 days in Disney and 3 or 4 days in Universal this year, but may have to re-think if this arrangement has changed as I really can not take the aggravation on my holiday!

Just got to guest relations and ask for a special assistance pass for Disney. For Universal contact them before you go.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lindyloo
    Following on from the disabled post below, I just wanted to check if anything has changed in the provisions for Autistic children in the last couple of years. I was a little concerned after reading that post.

We will be travelling out for 3 weeks in July with my 9 year old, who has Aspergers and ADHD. When we were last there 2 years ago, we got a pass from Disney that allowed us to take him down the fast track queues. In Universal we also got a fast track pass. We had to take proof of his conditional along to the Guest Relations office in the parks. Does this arrangement still apply?

He gets extremely agitated if he has to wait in the queues. A single bad experience would be the end of the world as far as he is concerned, and would ruin his whole day. This then has a knock on effect on the rest of the family.

We were planning on doing 7 days in Disney and 3 or 4 days in Universal this year, but may have to re-think if this arrangement has changed as I really can not take the aggravation on my holiday!

[/quote]

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lindyloo

[/quote]

Our DS also has Aspergers and we have used Disneys Guest Assistance Card on our last 2 visits. We have never had to show any form of proof of his condition - in fact it is against the law for them to even ask for it. The card IS NOT a fast pass but will allow you access to an alternative queuing area if one is available - for example the disabled access on Spaceship Earth. If no disabled access is available then the CM can allow access through the fast pass lanes.
    You also do not need to contact Universal prior leaving the UK. Do the same there as you would at Disney and go to the Guest Relations office either before or after entering the park. Once there give them details of what assistance you require.
    The main difference between Disney and Universal is that Disney provide you with a card that lasts for your whole holiday, whereas at Universal you have to go back to Guest Relations every time you visit.
    If you need any more advice feel free to PM me.

I would contact Universal before going, as you will see from previous posts they are not always that forth coming with a pass and they give give out ones longer than your vacation but only if required. We have a lifetime pass as we used to live there. Contcing them before just may make things a little easier to have a pass waiting.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:
    You also do not need to contact Universal prior leaving the UK. Do the same there as you would at Disney and go to the Guest Relations office either before or after entering the park. Once there give them details of what assistance you require.
    The main difference between Disney and Universal is that Disney provide you with a card that lasts for your whole holiday, whereas at Universal you have to go back to Guest Relations every time you visit.
    If you need any more advice feel free to PM me.[/quote]

Florida Newbie
    Thanks. I am glad we can still get the assistance we need. I would not want the holiday ruined by constant meltdowns.

If I contact Universal ahead of going, who should I contact? Is there an e-mail address or phone number that you can suggest?

Thanks,
    Linda