Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bug bite

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
    This is very scary, I had no idea that this sort of terrible bite and disease could be contracted in Florida. All I like to bring back is my memories.

Is there a time of the year where this horrible insect is more prevalent, or when the disease is more likely to be transmitted? Or is it something to be wary of all year round?[/quote]Sand flies are rare away from the beaches..and the ones that carry a disease are very rare..my husband says I just lucky when it comes to disease..both me and my daughter were bite very badly by sandflies at the beach in FL a few years ago and it was nothing like this..I would do nothing more then use bug spray all the time..and take note of a bite if it does not clear up...its really just a reminder to use spray..with the bite I have the treatment is simple..keep covered with a plaster ...take vitamins to cut down on scaring ....no creams or anything..within days it looks a lot better..just spray spray spray..its become a routine with me since I first noticed the mark..and I've had no bites from anything in the last few visits..

Florida Savvy
    We also have them here in the UK. On Bournemouth beach in the summer it can be quite nasty at times!![V][V]
    Parrothead

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
    This is very scary, I had no idea that this sort of terrible bite and disease could be contracted in Florida. All I like to bring back is my memories.

Is there a time of the year where this horrible insect is more prevalent, or when the disease is more likely to be transmitted? Or is it something to be wary of all year round?[/quote]I sure didn't mean to scare anyone. Considering the number of people going to Florida and the number of patients developing anything beyond the usual itches, the statistics are on our side. But it's something one should be aware of when going to a (sub)tropical area. Plus the disease unfortunately tends to spread, as there's no really efficient "pest control" technique so far for them. And they definitely kill a lot of people in other countries.

Sandflies tend to be more active at dawn and night, or when there's little or no wind, usually nest among seaweed, and remain in the close vicinity of their colony.

If you're the allergic type, their bites will hurt you most. My son is that type, a simple mosquito will make his arm swell real bad. Considering sandflies can bite by the dozen, I'll soak him in repellent [msnwink] and I always carry anti-histamine pills with me, plus hydrocortizon cream (not sure about the spelling here).

Gold 5 Star Member
    Well getting the right treatment helps..I'd been leaving it to the air and putting on antibiotic cream..which was doing more harm than good with this kind of bite..that is fine for mozzies..this needs to be covered with an antibiotic plaster ..and you need to keep it as dry as you can...I think the scaring will be about the size of a penny..but it looks so much better now...no more strange looks when I go out to dinner and take my coat off..lol

Florida Chatterbox
    whats the best bug spray and where would i get it?

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by PAUL GIZZI
    [/quote]

Anything containing DEET at a high percentage (80% is good), citronella is good too. You can buy special clothes spray too. It works for mozzies too. Ask the pharmacist for advice.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I think the scaring will be about the size of a penny[/quote]

What's a penny chrizzy

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    [/quote]

Anything containing DEET at a high percentage (80% is good), citronella is good too. You can buy special clothes spray too. It works for mozzies too. Ask the pharmacist for advice.
    [/quote]

So would you buy in florida or at home( just wondered if they have better)

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    [/quote]

[/quote]

So would you buy in florida or at home( just wondered if they have better)
    [/quote]

I'll buy the bug reppellent in Florida, just because I want to travel light, and I know I'll find it easily there. I've bought it here before when going to less developped (so to speak) countries where you don't have pharmacies at every corner. I do carry the medications with me though (antihistamines and such), but it's because the names are different from here and for my son I just don't want to take any chance.
    Last time I travelled to the US I bought OFF, the DEET kind, but they might have come out with something better now.

Nathalie

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I think the scaring will be about the size of a penny[/quote]

What's a penny chrizzy
    [/quote]

One of those things you used to use to go to the loo..