Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug bite

Gold 5 Star Member

Bug bite

Just to remind people to use bug stray..I had a sandfly bite last May which I think I've talked about before..well now I find out its given me a flesh eating bug..and it may take 18 months to heal..its the first sandfly bite I've gotten in Orlando..it has been painful at times..and I not like anyone else to have anything like it because they forget to spray...

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    I have never even heard of a sandfly! Sounds horrid Chrissie. Hope it heals up quicker than predicted. I think I will look it up before our next trip!
    Frances

Hope it heals quickly and no marks left on your skin ,The red ants are bad enough in the garden and take a while to heal and can be sre
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Sounds awful, were you at the coast or around the Disney area though you do say Orlando in your note, but you could have had a day at the beach??

Val

Gold 5 Star Member
    No never went to the beach..but they sometimes come inland on windy days and storms..my neighbour who was a doctor says I was lucky not to have got it in say South America...because a bite there by the same bug can be really nasty..
    It started as a little red bite the size of a pinhead that would not stop itching..then looked like it was healing then it just turned into a raised hole..that got bigger and bigger..I can't remember the name the doc called it..begins with an L I think..

Florida Expert
    Sounds quite painful and creepy. Thanks for the warning, you can never use enough spray when abroad to protect yourself.

Hope it is straighforward to get it sorted for you (even if it does take a while).
    Mary

It's called "Leishmaniasis", more common than you'd think, considering nobody has heard of it. Very nasty thing, can leave bad scars, and the type your doc talked about causes digestive and/or liver/spleen disease than can be fatal, sometimes years afterwards. When you're bitten you want to see a doc specialized in tropical diseases, better armed to diagnose and treat on the long term.

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by lafifille
    It's called "Leishmaniasis", more common than you'd think, considering nobody has heard of it. Very nasty thing, can leave bad scars, and the type your doc talked about causes digestive and/or liver/spleen disease than can be fatal, sometimes years afterwards. When you're bitten you want to see a doc specialized in tropical diseases, better armed to diagnose and treat on the long term. [/quote]Good grief[msneek]

I hope you are ok and make a quick recovery Chrizzy

Gold 5 Star Member
    The kind that makes you really sick has never been found within the USA...you have to travel outside which I've not..this should clear up on its own..so they tell me...its really not common in FL..but not unheard of..I was asked if I'd been to Texas where it is common..but no..It is better now after 11 months..it took a while to get bigger its about the size of a penny now....to be honest I took no notice of it because mozzie bites last on me for ages..but a few weeks ago I noticed this was different..it keep fooling me into thinking its going..then it comes back again..

Florida Chatterbox
    This is very scary, I had no idea that this sort of terrible bite and disease could be contracted in Florida. All I like to bring back is my memories.

Is there a time of the year where this horrible insect is more prevalent, or when the disease is more likely to be transmitted? Or is it something to be wary of all year round?