Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: storms in april?

Florida Newbie

storms in april?

Im off to cocoa beach for 1 week and orlando for 1 week in 10 days and have been watching the weather like a hawk.
    Its been fine for ages then the last 2 weeks its alot of scattered t storms, im wondering if this is normal? and how long on average do they last?
    I have got so many shorts and tees so the thought of anything but sunshine is really annoying as i carefully chose april as on average the rainfall is at its lowest, what experiences of this month do you guys have?

Gold 5 Star Member
    You'll be pleased to hear that it's beginning to really warm up in Florida and with warming up comes the occasional thunderstorm, just like what happens here in the UK.

Thunderstorms rarely last more than an hour or thereabouts and, if the weather's warm, so is the rain! Scattered usually means just that - sometimes you might have a thunderstorm in one area but not in another one very close by.

Check also the likely percentage of thunderstorms/rain as those are usually pretty accurate.

Come on, you've probably looked forward to your Florida hols for ages so don't let the odd thunderstorm get you down. If it rains, there are all those shops to hit if you don't want to sit it out wherever you happen to be. No-one turns down shopping...

You'll have a great time, stop worrying!
    blott

I suspect when you look closely at the forecast, it will state the chance of precipitation being pretty low, 20- 40% maybe and are linked to much higher temperatures, Meaning there is a 60- 80% chance you won't get rain These isolated thunderstorms usually disappear within a couple of days at this time of year leaving warm fresh air and blue skies.
    Shirley

Gold 5 Star Member
    April is a month of change in Florida's weather - I've always found it a fair bit warmer at the end of the month that at the start. If you're going for a couple of weeks in 10 days time you will probably notice that. IMO late April/early May is the best time of all to visit.

I've been in Florida in April every year since 1995 and, while there will be the odd thunder storm, it's nothing like as frequent as July & August (which I always avoid).

Florida Newbie
    Does this mean my new bikini will get a good airing? Thanks!! you have made me feel better,I dont mind an odd shower or storm for an hour or so, i just dread going and its raining and thundering non stop. Its my first hol abroad in 3 years and i haven't been to florida since i was 16, 13 years ago, so this hol means alot to me and my fiance. We are hitting the beach for a whole week before the parks and im hoping for a fantastic tan. Im a worry wart, lol, thanks again!!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Cat1
    Does this mean my new bikini will get a good airing? [/quote]Why don't you post a picture and we'll decide?[msnwink][msnwink]

More seriously, the weather in April is wonderful - you'll have a great time.

Florida Expert
    Last week we had a pretty violent storm, with strong winds and lightening.
    The weekend has been very hot and a little muggy with quite a lot of clouds around.
    The start of next week there is a cold front coming through with highs in the low 70's and cooler nights.

And finally here is the sport.......shuffling papers on desk[msnwink]
    Neil & Kay

Gold 5 Star Member
    Only someone who doesn't currently live in the UK could possibly call low 70s at this time of year a cold front. [msneek]
    blott

Florida Newbie
    That is very true, was sunny here yesterday but nowhere near 70's! The day we get there weather is saying 84 cloud and sun, that will do me!
    That's my last look at weather I think until I go, at least I now know that a storm symbol doesn't indicate it for all day. thanks all!

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    Only someone who doesn't currently live in the UK could possibly call low 70s at this time of year a cold front. [msneek] [/quote]True i agree.

But when you get used to 85-90 a drop to 70 is indeed a cold front.
    A 15 degree drop is a big change.

Oh and incidently the forecast has been updated to mid 60's for Tue/Wed........time to break out the fleece again.
    Neil & Kay