Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The OV Forums seem quiet!!

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Very good, but surely that is up to him though. Maybe he's gone off to find another forums more suited to his needs as he clearly has some issues with us. Maybe not.

At the end of the day, no one forums is going to suit everyone and there are plenty of room for all forums.

I too don't need to get into a pedantic discussion with you as it's the Easter holidays, the kids are off school, the sun is shining and with respect I've got way more important (and interesting [msnwink]) things I could be doing [msnsmile].

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn

Well, he was posting at the rate of 2 or 3 a day and has now stopped, that's all. I really have no desire to get into a *discussion* about it, it was just an observation.[msnsmile2]

[/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't know if it's possible to confirm it or otherwise but I have the impression that things have been quieter on her over the last few months. I suppose that, like all internet forums, members come and go and longer term posters don't have the same need to seek advice because the vast majority of questions have been asked before. I suppose that the number of new people joining will have a marked effect on how much posting there is.

Slightly OT but on the same theme, I do think that there is an awful lot of repetition of points raised because there's a very marked reluctance to use the excellent Search function. I very rarely find the need to start new threads because the answers are almost always available through a simple search.

As far as Neil's other points are concerned, I don't agree that this site is purely about making money but I don't think anybody can honestly claim that perfectly understandable vested interests don't come into play in some of the 'discussions'. Longer term members understand that and take it into account but newer members might find it a bit off-putting, which is a shame.

Checking the site statistics for the first three months of the year compared with the same three months of last year shows that the number of unique hits is actually up 20% in January and February as compared with last year. March is broadly the same.

Overall page impressions are slightly down for all three months as compared with last year but not by much.

I think we can thus say the forums are as popular as ever but perhaps people are using the search facility a bit more rather than asking the same questions again, which maybe they have tended to do in the past.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    I don't know if it's possible to confirm it or otherwise but I have the impression that things have been quieter on her over the last few months. I suppose that, like all internet forums, members come and go and longer term posters don't have the same need to seek advice because the vast majority of questions have been asked before. I suppose that the number of new people joining will have a marked effect on how much posting there is.
    [/quote]

That's the challenge we will always face and we'd love to know the ideal solution to it as it's a hard one to tackle. We do try our best but admit we don't get it right all the time.
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Longer term members understand that and take it into account but newer members might find it a bit off-putting, which is a shame.
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk
    Checking the site statistics for the first three months of the year compared with the same three months of last year shows that the number of unique hits is actually up 20% in January and February as compared with last year. March is broadly the same.

[/quote]

Like you I have better things to do on a sunny Sunday John but do you might me asking what a 'unique hit' is?

LOL - of course [msnsmile].

A unique hit is basically a single visitor to a website. So if a site gets 1000 unique hits and 3000 page impressions, you could say that 1000 different people visited the website and between them they looked at a total of 3000 pages.

Like you I have better things to do on a sunny Sunday John but do you might me asking what a 'unique hit' is?
    [/quote]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanks.

Another thought about the forums perhaps being a bit quieter is that you get to be a victim of your own success in that if you used the search facility to it's maximum, I would suggest just about every Florida related question has been answered on here, and then some.

If people don't ask the same questions again and again, or at least with a slightly different viewpoint to the last time the question was asked, there will be a big drop in new posts.

Granted there will always be the "banter" type threads, which we positively encourage but we then run the risk of the forums appearing to a new user to be a cosy group of people who all seem to know each other. This may then discourage the new user from posting.

As you can see there is no easy one size fits all answer [msneek].

well its still a great fun forum..... my favourite..... lots of great people on here with some great read ups..... we need to have some more trip reports!!! and of course more pictures!!
    also since our first trip to florida in 02 things have changed greatly with the parks and many more places to stay and of interest.... and being a member of a forum such as this i get loads of more up to date info on anything and everything florida.....
    there have been many 'regulars' that have moved on but many more come and join us and join in with all the banter and excitement of forthcoming trips to florida!!
    Liesa

Florida Newbie
    Dear John,

No I am not ending our relationship (as in "Dear John"[msnwink]) but I wanted to "DM" you and can't find an option so here are my thoughts.

I do love the site and probably went a little far in saying the site only wants to make money. In my relatively short time on here I have had many positive responses to posts that are not in any way conducive to a holiday in Orlando so the people on here are mostly good caring and helpful and that is good.

We need more choice though as competition brings better deals and happier people.

Sorry for the rant John but my hard earned an all[msncry]

Slightly OT but on the same theme, I do think that there is an awful lot of repetition of points raised because there's a very marked reluctance to use the excellent Search function. I very rarely find the need to start new threads because the answers are almost always available through a simple search.[/quote]I'm affraid to say that I noticed there was a search function only today, when I had been wondering why there wasn't one for ages... might be good to make it more... visible? [msnwink] Or maybe it's just me...[msncry] The positive aspect is that I did a lot of reading, looking for information before posting a new thread.

I don't know if the forum is less active than last year, being a new member, but it sure is very nice and helpful, and answers are always very fast, so there are people out there ready to help. Maybe what Pudders needs is a OrlandoVillas chatroom (or is there one and I missed that too?[msnembarrased]).

Nathalie.