Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

More to the point, has anyone actually produced one of these magic numbers at US immigration, and it has been accepted as an alternative to the green form? Most reports on here are that US Airports don't actually take any notice of ESTAs yet.
    Dave.

I don't believe you will ever have to 'produce one of these magic numbers'...the ESTA application process itself states quite clearly that you will never have to show a printout of it to anyone.

The database is obviously based upon your passport number, and so I assume that as soon as the immigration office swipes your passport, all the relevant ESTA information will come up on his screen. And given that the airline has already supplied your passport number to US Immigration before you even left the UK, chances are that the info has already been validated - you wouldn't have been allowed on the flight otherwise.

But just because they are still using the green visa waiver form, I wouldn't automatically assume that the ESTA system is not yet fully operational. When I was in Boston in early March I still had to fill in a visa waiver, but that might be because they are in some sort of "parallel run" phase where they check the ESTA system is working as designed, but without having to rely upon it 100% just yet, in case there are still bugs. Once they are happy with ESTA, they'll stop using the forms.
    Keith

In that case, may I re-phrase my question.....

Has anyone yet arrived at US Immigration and NOT had to make use of a green form that they have already filled in, because the computer at the immigration desk has recognised their passport and associated it with an ESTA?

Dave.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Dads_Taxi
    In that case, may I re-phrase my question.....

Has anyone yet arrived at US Immigration and NOT had to make use of a green form that they have already filled in, because the computer at the immigration desk has recognised their passport and associated it with an ESTA?[/quote]Not that we've heard about so far but one day...
    blott

As far as I know, there are no US gateways yet relying solely on ESTA for immigration. My next visit is early May, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed [msnsmile2]
    Keith

Florida Expert
    I was asked at San Francisco for my ESTA number by a "very officious "US Immigration officer ,when I explained I had indeed filled the form online but was told they were still using the Green form he told me that I should have my ESTA number with me ,then his collegue in the next booth joined in and said "the lady is correct ,she only requires her green form ".
    After that he asked me for the flight number,I had just put Aer Lingus on the form as usually that is sufficient ,(only one aer Lingus flight arrives in san francisco twice a week ), I had to ask a fellow passenger what was the flight number to satisfy my zelous man. Needless to say I didnt say thank you when I walked away. Interesting enough when I was travelling to New York for St. Patricks day I cleared Immigration in Dublin , I met a really nice Immmigration lady who laughed when I asked if she required my ESTA number , she was very happy with the nornal green form , so its a case of who you get on the day ,but the nasty guy in san Francisco told me he had "the power " to send me back without the ESTA number. People like him could very easily intimidate nervous or perhaps elderly passengers.
    Olive

Florida Chatterbox
    Iknow this has probably been "done to death" by now, but am i correct in assuming, that when we travel to florida 23/04/09, we will still have to fill out a green visa waiver form.??

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by hamish
    Iknow this has probably been "done to death" by now, but am i correct in assuming, that when we travel to florida 23/04/09, we will still have to fill out a green visa waiver form.??[/quote]Given the absence of any sort of progress on this on the part of US Immigration, I'd say it's highly likely!

Florida Chatterbox
    We flew out on 15th March and yes we still had to complete the green visa waiver form. We had already registered and had our ESTA registration confirmation form. Although the immigration officer said he could see our details on his screen once he swiped our passport, he recommended bringing our printed ESTA confirmation with us for a while just in case.