Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Medications

Florida Newbie

Medications

Hi

I was wondering if it is ok to take medications prescribed by the doctor to florida and if I need a doctors note to prove they were subscribed?

Thanks all.

Gold 5 Star Member
    No problem with tablets.

The only possible difficulty might be if you have injection needles and/or liquid medication that exceeds the limits for carrying onto the aircraft. If that's the case, make sure all the medication has original labels and you have a medical letter if you're carrying needles.

Just make sure that you put some in each suitcase and a few days supply in your hand lugagge should your cases go astray.
    Shirley
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1786.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    Never, ever put medication in your suitcase because, if it does go missing, you could have one very big problem.

Some medications we have in the UK aren't available in the US and trying to get a replacement will mean an expensive visit to a doctor and paying top price for whatever you've been prescribed. How do I know? My mother managed to not pack enough important medication with her one year and we had to do this - don't let it happen to you!

Carry with you a copy of your repeat prescription list so that you know what you're taking and its exact strength/dosage in case you a) are taken ill or b) need replacements and can show these to the doctor.

Some strong pain medications are controlled drugs and, depending on how much you're taking with you, may involve UK and US Customs.

blott

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    Never, ever put medication in your suitcase because, if it does go missing, you could have one very big problem.

Some medications we have in the UK aren't available in the US and trying to get a replacement will mean an expensive visit to a doctor and paying top price for whatever you've been prescribed. How do I know? My mother managed to not pack enough important medication with her one year and we had to do this - don't let it happen to you!

Carry with you a copy of your repeat prescription list so that you know what you're taking and its exact strength/dosage in case you a) are taken ill or b) need replacements and can show these to the doctor.

Some strong pain medications are controlled drugs and, depending on how much you're taking with you, may involve UK and US Customs.
    [/quote]But if you don't put them in your suitcase you can't put them all in your hand luggage, especially when you go for 3 months as we will be later in the year.
    Shirley
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1786.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    We always take enough to cover twice the amount of time we're in Florida (so that's up to 14 weeks' worth in view of our previous disaster - see above) and we're on loads of medications. That's all that is in our hand luggage apart from electrical items like a camera, etc.

Taking a risk and putting medications in your suitcases can prove a very expensive decision, believe me! Although we hadn't done this, Mum couldn't even get the same pills but the doctor managed to find some which were 'similar'. The total bill came to over $300 and that was for a doctor's office visit and only one set of pills. We'll never make that mistake again!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    Taking a risk and putting medications in your suitcases can prove a very expensive decision, believe me! Although we hadn't done this, Mum couldn't even get the same pills but the doctor managed to find some which were 'similar'. The total bill came to over $300 and that was for a doctor's office visit and only one set of pills. We'll never make that mistake again![/quote]I had a similar experience when some medication I had was ruined by not being able to keep it at the required temperature during a lengthy flight delay.

Just the visit to the doctor cost $250 and he couldn't actually replace like for like. I did manage to claim on my travel insurance though (after a hefty excess had been deducted[msnmad])

Florida Expert
    Have to remember this next time we travel with Mum. Have always put injections etc in hand luggage but other tablets in main suitcase, hadn't though too much about losing the lot, thanks

A few years ago I had to get my medications sent by courier when I left them sitting on the kitchen table after I had taken them the morning we were leaving! It had to be verified by Customs at both ends and instead of taking 24 hours took about 3 days. An expensive mistake I have not repeated, and as the others say, I now always carry them in my hand luggage and never had it queried.
    Fiona