Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop lost at security

Florida Savvy

Laptop lost at security

Hi everyone, I was hoping some one could help.

We have been coming to Florida for many years now, but unfortunatly the last time we came, our laptop was stolen at the security x-ray area in Orlando International Airport. My son (15) put it through the X-ray, and when he got through the metal detector it was gone.

We reported the loss to the Transportation Security Authority and they gave us a form and reassured us that we could claim for the computer. They told us not to worry and to hurry before we missed our connection.

We have just telephoned the TSA and have been told our claim as been denied. They gave no reason and told us the only recouse was to file a suit in a US Distrist Court.

We can't claim on our travel insurance, because there was no police report.

Has anyone got any advice, because we don't really want to take the TSA to court?

Thanks, Debbie

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    Debbie, you would think in that area there would have been excellent CCTV so the Theft should have been caught at the time. I must admit I always try and ensure I pick everything up as it can be a stressful time what with shoes off, money in a box, laptop open and the security urging you through.
    Although I always take my time to make sure I have everything. Did they not offer to have the CCTV viewed?
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    How long was it before your son realised the laptop was missing?

i.e. would the CCTV have to review a minute or so, or quite a long period?

Florida Savvy
    No Graham they didn't offer to have the CCTV viewed. The computer had already gone by the time my son had come through the metal detecter. They just x rayed all our bags again gave us the form and told us to go or miss our flight.
    I didn't think they were helpful at all especially when I told them all our photos and videos from my 40th birthday in the Magic kingdom and our holiday were on the computer. We had also stopped in New York for a few days before coming down to Florida so we lost all those photos as well.

Hi Robert he realised immediatly as it wasn't in the tray when he got through the meatl detector. We told the man at the x ray straight away and called the TSA over.

Gold 5 Star Member
    We managed to rescue someone's handbag once which they'd left behind at security - she hadn't even noticed it was missing so it's easily done.

The only way to prove this, I think, is the CCTV because I can see that it's your word that you had the laptop with you and their word that they hadn't seen it go missing. Missing your connection might have been preferable to losing a laptop that you can't claim for I'm guessing with hindsight.
    blott

Florida Savvy
    You are right about missing the connection but the TSA were quite abrupt and almost insited we left! I don't know why they didn't use the CCTV, they knew we had the laptop with us as my son was asked to remove it from his bag.

We will all have to keep a watch on our things from now on as it is the window of opertunity for someone to pick up something that is not theirs .We were putting our things on the belt in MCO in February this year and taken my shoes of and a very tall man was pushed in front of us or put there my staff .
    We though he was somebody special being help then he would not miss his plane but he was rushed through and he had to sit on a chair and the put a scanner round his feet and all over his body ,So someone had seen him and did not trust what he was up to .
    When we had finished and went forward for the train he was still there being interviewed and scanned .
    At least they were doing a good job and looking after us all then as we never know what is going on around us everyday .
    Hope you can get some joy with your sons laptop .
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    That's bad luck - I'm sure you're annoyed about what happened.

Was the form they gave you specifically linked to property going missing in these circumstances or just 1 of those they give you when you lose stuff from your checked bags? If it's the former, you'd think it was a common occurrence.

I don't see it being a member of staff being responsible purely because they'd have to put it somewhere and I understand that they aren't allowed to have personal bags in that area.

If, as seems most likely, it's another passenger then the CCTV could establish that fact but might not take you any nearer to recovering it. However, I don't see why you still can't report the theft after the event and claim on your insurance. Have you tried to do that?

The TSA have a record of your loss so I would call them again to get the airport police number so you can file a report and an insurance claim
    Shirley

If the TSA have told you verbally that your claim has been denied, I would ask for confirmation and to request the grounds for denial. This may leave an opportunity for their decision to be challenged, particularly if you completed the form and put down the circumstances clearly.
    Brenda
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3197.aspx