Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop lost at security

Florida Savvy
    That's an excellent idea Shirley we will try that, thanks.

Hi Brenda we will also ask for written confirmation as we were very clear and accurate on the form and don't see any obvious reason for the denial.

Gold 5 Star Member
    While I would be very unhappy about it myself, I can understand why the TSA aren't accepting responsibility because it might be a little unreasonable to expect them to be able to prevent what looks like an opportunity thief.

I think you should have better luck with your travel insurers if you can get hold of a police report.

Florida Savvy
    I hate to say it, but this is now a common theft, it happens at UK airports as well. Because security often insist that laptops are taken out of bags before going through the scanner, the thieves get to see exactly what's worth stealing. Apparently they often work in pairs and it goes like this... one goes through the metal detector and hangs around the other side pretending to fit shoes belts etc. The accomplice gets in front of the victim and causes a delay at the metal detector by carrying metal or coins. This means the victim is also held up behind while the laptop has already been placed on (and travelled through) the scanner belt, leaving lots of time for the laptop/bag/money to disappear on the other side... Easy

Solution - since an airport worker told me about this, I've started waiting until the metal detector is clear in front of me before putting anything expensive through the scanner - good tip.

Very sorry to hear about the loss debbie. [msnmad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    That's interesting and I for one wasn't aware that it was so common. I'll definitely be more careful from now on.

You really would think that these crimes wouldn't be that hard to solve. Every passenger has had to buy a ticket and prove their identity before they get anywhere near the security check and, once they're airside, they're pretty much captive within that area. If the thieves are working in pairs and only have 1 opportunity each time they go through, you wouldn't think that the risks and 'profit' justified the cost of tickets.

On the assumption that the crime is reported immediately and there is CCTV in the area, I don't see why a bit of effort shouldn't usually result in the arrest of the thief and recovery of the property. However, if the security staff show the same lack of interest as in this case, it will continue unchecked.

Incidentally, up until recently it wasn't necessary to remove laptops from bags at Heathrow T5 but they've just changed that. Good news for the thieves I think.

Florida Savvy
    Hi everyone just to update, we have just received our insurance forms and sent them off.

They have asked for a police report number and as we didn't have one we explained the reasons why and gave them the number from the Transport Security Authority.

Fingers crossed it will be enough, thanks for all your advice,

Debbie

Gold 5 Star Member
    I've always held my stuff back till I go through..and I send my laptop through last after my shoes bag and coat...I always have to wait for it to come out the other end..

Florida Expert
    I find it hard to believe this is anything more than an oportunist theft.

If people were going to do this regulary then surely they would have to have a flight ticket to go through security?

If teams were having to buy flight tickets for the one chance of say stealing a laptop, it would surely not be worth the risk?

Neil & Kay

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Frosty

If people were going to do this regulary then surely they would have to have a flight ticket to go through security?

If teams were having to buy flight tickets for the one chance of say stealing a laptop, it would surely not be worth the risk?
    [/quote]

I must say that I agree with that view. I suppose another possibility is that somebody has made a very easy genuine mistake and subsequently found that they have 2 laptops and just decided to hang onto it.

Whatever the reason, I do think that the insurers have liability here.

Florida Expert

[/quote]It may have been a member of staff.

Heathrow for example used to be nicknamed Thiefrow due to the number of thefts perpertrated by baggage handlers, cleaners etc.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ujpest doza

[/quote]It may have been a member of staff.

Heathrow for example used to be nicknamed Thiefrow due to the number of thefts perpertrated by baggage handlers, cleaners etc.

[/quote]

I was originally responding to "Crews" comment.
    I know that baggae handlers are known for stealing, but thats usually when they have the baggage to themselves, out of sight.
    Surely staff would stand out if they were going through security check points all the time?
    Neil & Kay