Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: economy

Florida Junior

economy

Just wondering if anyone has noticed if the parks are slower than normal. I believe that the number of vacationers this year, at least in the states, will be down dramatically due to the economic meltdown we are in the midst of. Anyone have an opinion?

Chuck

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think anybody can know at this stage. The recent statistics suggest that visitor numbers to the US as a whole are down but not dramatically. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be evenly distributed across the country so identifying what the numbers will be in Florida is pretty much impossible.

My own view is that the numbers will fall a little but the big difference will be that that those people who do continue to travel will cut down on things like the length of stay and discretionary spending such as shopping and eating out.

A lot of people are beginning to feel (or fear) the pinch at the moment and the problem for the travel industry is the double whammy of that coupled with a very weak Pound.

Florida Expert
    It is difficult to judge lately. For instance, I have one family who enquired about Orlando instead of their usual Eurpope trip. They figured that althought the dollar is low, the euro makes it more expensive to travel. Another family who had been saving for Disney next year decided to spend his redundancy to go this year so they would not let the kids down if he did not get another job.

You still get value for money in Florida compared to prices (and portions) in uk, it is just that for those of us used to getting a good rate we can see a difference.

I am sure there are a lot of families out there that may have put off their Disney trip to see how the economy goes, just not sure how many.
    Mary

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't personally think there will be a dramatic change in the number of people visiting Orlando. Orlando has never been a 'cheap' place to visit and I don't think that segment of the travel industry is going to suffer all that much. This is also consistent with what we've seen with the villa so far this year. It's busier than ever! And not forgetting that Disney is Disney ... there's nowhere else in the world like it. [msnsmile2]
    Steve

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Snapper
    I don't personally think there will be a dramatic change in the number of people visiting Orlando. Orlando has never been a 'cheap' place to visit and I don't think that segment of the travel industry is going to suffer all that much. This is also consistent with what we've seen with the villa so far this year. It's busier than ever! And not forgetting that Disney is Disney ... there's nowhere else in the world like it. [msnsmile2]
    [/quote]

It's very difficult to interpret the data because although Disney have reported a loss, visitor numbers are down and they had faced a "challenging first quarter due the economic downturn" it doesn't necessarily follow that UK vsitor numbers will fall to same extent. There seems to be some evidence that US vistor numbers to Disney are currently in decline though.

I also don't believe there will be a dramatic change in the number of families visiting Orlando. People who can offord to visit will continue to do so. I do think that some visitors will wait until nearer the time before booking,others will throw caution to the wind and go ahead and book anyway
    Barbara

From our own experience this has been the best year so far for bookings, and we are not a budget villa. Those that are seeking this standard of accommodation are still eager to visit Disney, and happy to pay for whatever it costs.

It is possible that some people who visited Orlando on a shoe-string will find it more difficult this year, but Disney is still investing heavily, so they obviously are not too worried.

As Steve says, where else in the world can you experience the magic of Disney, the wide range of parks and water parks, the shopping, the restaurants, the sunshine, and all the attractions which are in one place - Orlando!
    ellie

Florida Chatterbox
    We are out here at the moment and whilst I can't comment on individual situations, there was a report on the news yesterday morning that said visitor rates to Orlando were down 8% during January which is, apparently, the first fall in visitor numbers for 8 years.

I guess this must be having an impact somewhere, I wonder if it is in Hotel bookings as people want to take advantage of the better value a villa offers.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think that reinforces the theory that it's US visitors that are accounting for the decline in numbers Disney and the state tourism bodies are reporting. If the experience of the people on here is that UK vsitor numbers are more likely increasing, some group must be responsible for the fall.

I think Barbara has a point. I feel that people will wait until the last minute to book this year (US guests that is).
    Dominic & Melanie Graham