Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pools & Sun

Florida Newbie

Pools & Sun

we are going to florida in May & have a choice of lovely villas. One has a pool facing north east and the other south east. Both owners say they get the sun all day. Any thoughts ?

A lot will depend on what is around the pool area to cast shadows. If there is a two storey villa immediately behind the pool then it will be in shade for part of the day whichever way the pool faces. Why not ask your short-listed owners what time the sun covers half the pool area in the morning and leaves half the pool area in the afternoon. A lot also depends on how you intend to use the pool area. A lot of people go out quite early in the mornings but want to come back and enjoy a sunny evening. In this case the afternoon sun is more important than the morning sun. If you are late risers then it doesn't matter where the sun is at 8 am.

Lynne
    Lynne

Florida Savvy
    I'd go for the south east one.

I might be wrong but I don't think the North East one would get the sun all day. As I say I may be wrong. My villa has a south east facing pool and the sun comes round by about 10am and sets behind us so we have sun all day from 10am.

Hope this helps. Elaine

By May the sun is quite high in the sky, so both will most likely get a good deal of sunshine. Ours is East facing to the back and south to the side and we get the sun from first thing on all the pool(8 am) to last thing on the south side of the pool deck. Best check it out with the owners.

Florida Expert
    I would go for the south facing one. I know some of the homes on my estate that are north east facing are in the shade most of the day. They also have trees behind them which can make the pool area quite dark as well.

Florida Chatterbox
    If this is the only difference between the 2 villas, then it seems to me that whilst the North one may well offer all day sun, the south one guarantees it

Florida Expert
    We have a north facing pool area by May the sun is high in the sky and very little of our pool deck area is in shade. the roof of the villa is quite low. Also remember by then it can also be quite hot so you may actually want to be able to sit out there in the shade and not in direct sunlight.

We made the decision to buy North facing because we travel in the summer and like to sit by the pool as much as possible and its too hot if the pool area is South facing

Super Moderator
    No, the south facing pool is not 100% guaranteed to have sun all day as it can still depend on what is located nearby which can still cast a shadow.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by FraserLynn
    If this is the only difference between the 2 villas, then it seems to me that whilst the North one may well offer all day sun, the south one guarantees it
    [/quote]

Before we had our own home we stayed in a villa with a south facing pool, but due to the surroundings.... a steep embankment and 2 storey homes, we only got the sun for a small portion of the afternoon and spent much of the time outside the pool cage chasing the sun.[msnsad]

Liz