Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

View Poll Results: Would you have laser eye surgery?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 56.84%
  • No

28 29.47%
  • Undecided

13 13.68%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you have laser eye surgery?

Florida Expert
    I gave it some thought but I now require reading glasses so I dont really see the point and the expence ,Ill keep the money and take another Florida break instead .
    Olive

Thanks for the comments, votes and posts folks. To me this seems to be quite a polarised topic.
    Euan

Gold 5 Star Member
    Not sure I'd be suitable because of other eye problems but I'm really squeamish about eyes and the thought of having surgery on them. Still I get fed up keep reaching for glasses every time I want to read something small so maybe I'll think about it.

Euan, I think it's done quite a bit in the US but do you need a lot of follow-up afterwards?
    blott

Florida Expert
    Agree that I would like the benefits but not the risks.
    Why do you never see surgeons and opticians without glasses?
    Once asked an eye surgeon this and he admitted he would not take the risk....

The typical follow-up period is 6 months. For the most common procedure, LASIK, you would have a 1-day, 1-week, 1 or 3 month and 6 month follow-up. After that it is routine eye examinations as per normal, every year or every 2 years.

The most important thing, IMHO, is to make sure that expectations are realistic - ie is the desired outcome achievable. If someone wants to be without glasses for the rest of their life and have perfect vision, I would not consider them a good candidate. I think the other factor is, if you are considering it, at what point do you buy in. It is a bit like computer technology, it is always advancing and improving, if you wait a while then you can be sure that there will be a 'new and improved' just along, however, in the meantime you are without the benefits available.
    Euan

Not for me - hate anything to do with eyes and can't even face trying contact lenses.
    Brenda
    http://www.orlandovillarental.com/florida-vacation-rental-3197.aspx

Florida Expert
    Although I have said no ( just putting mascara on makes me cringe ) I have to say that the experience my next door neighbor had at the eye laser clinic in Newcastle Upon Tyne was very uplifting. He went to have his eyes tested etc and was given a date for them to do it. The cost £3500.00. He arrived at the clinic and the surgeon who was doing it came and asked him why he was wanting it done. After he had explained about having to keep changing glasses ( not sure why but bifocals are no good to him and he uses his contacts when not at work )the surgeon said that if it was himself getting it done he would not bother as the surgery would not really make much difference and he would still need to use his glasses for some aspects of his work.

BUT it was so nice to hear of a company that was honest enough to tell him that while he would have a little benefit it would not be great and in the words of there surgeon not worth spending that amount of money. If I did need anything done to my eyes I would not hesitate in using this company as they could have took his £3,500.00.
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-38.aspx

Westbury,Davenport,Florida.& Hemel Hempstead
    i voted yes and have had it done.

It must have been 4 - 5 years ago and I had it done for 2 reasons, one was because we were going to discovery cove and th eother was for work.

I am a swimming teacher and work in the water with young children some days. I could not see without my glasses and they were constantly covered in water. I had prescription goggles but you can't really teach in these.

I did suffer a lot of discomfort and blurred vision in one eye for just over a week, but eeverything has been fine since.

My sister also wanted this done but due to her early artheitus could not.
    Christine

No thank you.

I have just recently started wearing glasses for reading and I'm really enjoying it. They're a very handy prop; I hadn't realised the feeling of power you get when you lower your head and glare at someone over the top of them. It's great to sigh, pointedly remove the specs with an arrogant gesture, rub your forehead and point them accusingly at people in meetings.

Wouldn't give them up for anything.
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    I would love to have it done
    Jan&Steve