Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to go?

Gold 5 Star Member
    In the Uk the children have to be in school by the term after their fifth birthday but in reality most schools only have one intake a year (in September), so some start just after their 4th birthday. Some go part time for a while and transition to full time and some go full time straight away.

Many countries they dont start formal education till 6 or 7 and it wouldnt be a problem but infortunately because of the way the ruling is worded it is very difficult to know if you will have a headteacher who approves or disapporves of children missing school time. Because any time over the 10 days (or even under if the headteacher doesnt authorise it) taken is calssed as unauthorised absence or truancy,which then reflects on the schools performance tables, they are not influenced by how good youu think it may be for your child but how it affects the schools results.
    Babblin Boo

Okay, I see. In France the great majority of children start school in september around their 3rd B-Day, some schools even accept 2 years old.
    Here we don't have "schools performance tables". We're going to Florida by the end of june, because it's the only time of the year my husband and I can manage vacations together, and my kids will be missing school. No problem for the 13 years old, as his classes will be about done by then, but my 10 years old will be missing about 2 weeks. They WILL work on their English on this trip and it's a good reason to go, but altogether there definitely was no problem with the teacher or the headteacher. Of course they're good students, it will be the end of the year and we're giving a 6-month notice. Good communication and diplomacy make sense in those matters, even if the law is on my side.[angel]

Back on topic: Bouncey you should go and talk with the headteacher about it and see what he/she says... might end up that they don't care..

Florida Junior
    All very good advice, speaking to the head is not an option as we have not chosen a school yet.
    We live on the border of two counties, we pay council tax to one and have the postcode of the other!

On selecting a school we shall explain what we are planning to do, get a response and act on it.

Some villa owners have christmas trees so that would be a nice extra to open their presents at the villa.

I would look to go after the New year as the park are quieter and also the flights can be much cheaper.
    Dominic & Melanie Graham