Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to go?

Florida Junior

When to go?

We decided to go from 01/01/2011 until 29/01/2011 but as our child will be five years old we thought about going a week earlier, would the week earlier be too busy? We don't want to waste any time!

Gold 5 Star Member
    Between Christmas and New Year is a busier time with lots of people going home the weekend after NYE.

That's been our experience this December & January and most of the other visits at that time previously.
    blott

Florida Junior
    Would you say that it is worth it though?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Whether you go a week earlier or not, you'll still catch all the Christmas lights which I would imagine a five year old would be excited about. The lights stay until the first weekend after New Year. As well as general decorations, the Osborne Family Lights at Hollywood Studios are not to be missed!

As you were thinking of arriving on 01 January anyway, I don't see it would make that much difference - as I said, lots of people leave the week after New Year so would still be there for either a week or a fortnight, whichever dates you chose.

It will be busier in the parks for the first week or two (depending on what you decide) but then quieten down quite a lot afterwards.

Personally, I'd leave my plans as they are and have one busy week and three not so busy weeks if you're intending to do a lot in the parks. The sales are on in the stores most of January anyway too. [msnwink]
    blott

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    I would leave your plans as they are, As your daughter will have to festive seasons. You will have the christmas you are celebrating at home, and then you will have another when you come out to Florida. You won't miss any of the festivities as Blott as mentioned they carry on through the first week of January.

She will have a ball
    CERI

Florida Chatterbox
    I would definitely take Blott and Ceris' advise and leave your plans as they are. We have been visiting for Christmas, New Year as well and although it is very nice it is also a very busy time in the parks.

TOM
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-1231.aspx

Arborfield, Berkshire, UK & Davenport, Florida
    I would take the advise above too. You will not miss out on any festivities there or at home that way! Christmas day especially is very busy at the parks anyway.
    Frances

Florida Junior
    thanks for your advice. I think we shall stick to the plan then!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm going to go against the flow here and suggest that you should consider going earlier for 2 reasons.

Although the parks are very busy they are also open late, so you can easily have a late start to the day and go to the park when it is quieter later in the afternoon, your child will probably still have plenty of energy, if you've been chilling out.

The most important reason though I would consider changing to a week earlier, is that depending on when the start of term is (usually around 4th Jan) you may find there is a problem with the school taking them out for so long. The law, as it stands, is that you can take them out for 10 days in a year to accompany family holiday, with the schools permission.

Assuming a start date of 4th til 29th Jan is 20 school days. But by moving forward a week you will take a few more days out of the school days so hopefully would have less of a problem.
    Alternatively if you can time your trip before your child starts school then obviously this would be one less thing to consider with your plans

As it appears this is your first child, I thought you may not be aware of how some schools especially are clamping down and even issuing fines of up to £100 per child, even when parents are asking for less than the 10 days off school.
    Babblin Boo

Is school compulsory for a 5 years old in Great Britain? I'm really curious about this. It's not in France until they are 6. They do go (pre-school, kindergarten school), but it's certainly not a big deal if they miss a couple of weeks.
    Can't you throw in the balance the positive aspects of travelling, discovering another culture and language [msnwink][msnsmile2]... I'm sure the teacher would be thrilled if your child came back and taught the others some good american slang [)]!!!