Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATM charges?

Gold 5 Star Member
    There is another way to look at this - which is to just not bother about charges. Save yourself the hassle and worry. If you need the cash, get it and if the bank charges you a couple of dollars don't worry about it. Let's be really honest - it's going to cost less than a single cup of coffee at the airport! Your time is worth far more than that.
    Steve

Florida Expert
    Totally agree Steve
    Why anyone would go to the trouble of worrying whether an ATM is going to charge them or not is beyond me.
    If they want to charge me a couple of dollars for using their facilities then that is fine with me - the same as I don't mind paying when I use other facilities while I am there.
    Life is too short, and vacation time is precious enough without these insignificant little distractions.

Kenny

Florida Chatterbox
    Just came back from orlando, last week, and I use my card many times in walmart and not once was i charged, have also check my bank statement online and I got a better exchanged rate that i would have got going to somewhere like bereau de change.

Florida Expert
    I know when we went last we got charged for using the machine at Publix.

Super Moderator
    Word of warning regarding Nationwide credit card use abroad. We do not normally tell them when we are coming out to our villa and have never had any problems. This time as I had to ring them about something else I did inform them the dates I would be in the States and as we wanted to buy furniture and tiles would be making some larger than normal purchases. No problem she said and she would make a note of it. Tonight I went into Walmart to buy a new George Foreman grill and my card was refused. Rang back to the UK and it was out of hours so tried lost and stolen number to try and find out why the card was blocked. He then checked and found Nationwide had blocked our card as we had made a lot of large purchases on it. Exactly as told. He said telling them before going does not mean they will not block your card even if you are using it where you say you will and for what you say you will. We have got to ring back tomorrow to make a complaint and try and get it unblocked [msnmad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Word of warning regarding Nationwide credit card use abroad. We do not normally tell them when we are coming out to our villa and have never had any problems. This time as I had to ring them about something else I did inform them the dates I would be in the States and as we wanted to buy furniture and tiles would be making some larger than normal purchases. No problem she said and she would make a note of it. Tonight I went into Walmart to buy a new George Foreman grill and my card was refused. Rang back to the UK and it was out of hours so tried lost and stolen number to try and find out why the card was blocked. He then checked and found Nationwide had blocked our card as we had made a lot of large purchases on it. Exactly as told. He said telling them before going does not mean they will not block your card even if you are using it where you say you will and for what you say you will. We have got to ring back tomorrow to make a complaint and try and get it unblocked [/quote]

For years I have always sent a message on their secure website(after logging in to my account) - for both credit and debit cards - telling them my dates in the USA.

They apparently don't need notification for debit cards now but do for credit cards.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Nationwide no longer need to be advised of Debit Card usage abroad, hence the message from xxxxxxxx.

The Credit Card runs on a different platform and we do therefore appreciate being advised of dates you will be abroad.

Regards

xxxxxxxxx
    Customer Advisor
    Nationwide Credit Card Services [/quote]

We have always notified Nationwide with the dates we will be in Florida, and if we know we are going to do quite a few large spends we also tell them that there will more than likely be a couple of large spends. so far not had a problem, ooops had better cross my fingers and every thing else now after saying that, as we are due to go in May for 6 weeks

Super Moderator
    Robert you have been lucky so far. I DID notify them not only of the dates I would be here but said we were buying flooring and furniture so making several larger purchases than normal. The member of staff said no problem we would be okay. What she should have said was 'even if you tell us and we make a note the computers automatically decide whether to block a card not us and we do not look to see if you have told us and automatically sort it out we leave you to find out the hard way'.

We managed to speak to someone in the correct department today and it was our purchase of floor tiles which caused our account to flag up 'with unusal activity' thus blocking the cards. We asked what is the point of telling you if you do this and they said even when you do tell us, which we had even to the point of telling them the unusal pattern we would be using, there is NO guarantee your card will stay unblocked.

So the warning is even when you tell Nationwide you cannot assume all will be fine.

Florida Expert
    The nationwide seem to be going overboard with security at the moment. Not connected with credit cards but she wanted to close and account, filled in the form handed it in at a branch, only to receive a letter saying she had to call them to confirm details. The details asked for!! her address. She wouldn't have got the letter if it hadn't been sent to the correct address and there was no money in the account she had already emptied it.