Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: fishing rigs

Florida Expert

fishing rigs

Hi all
    In the UK I only fish on lakes and rivers (course fishing) In Florida I have had some luck fishing off the beach with artificial lures and free lining shrimp. What I would like is to find some example of how to fish off the beach with static bait. I would like to find some diagrams or pictures of rigs along with suggestions of hook size and an Idea of the size sinker needed to hold bottom.
    Ta
    Nic

Gold 5 Star Member
    I fish off the beach all the time on the Atlantic side.

If you go to any of the fishing bait shops they will give you advice - Wal-Mart are about the cheapest for tackle. Or just chat to a fisherman on the beach.

The best/simplest for general purpose fishing is a Pompano rig. This consists of a leader with 2 or 3 hooks to which you clip a sinker. I have caught everything from a few ounces to a 30lb shark.

The weight of sinker depends on the size of the surf and/or current. Sometimes a 2 ounce will suffice other times a 10 oz won't. A 4oz pryamid sinker is the best compromise.

There are variations on the Pompano rig theme - lighter or heavier - depending on what you are aiming to catch.

You really need a good surf rod and rod holder - again they are not expensive from Wal-mart. I have 2 x 16ft and a 12 ft. 12lb - 20lb mono line is best IMO.

Bait can be shrimp, clam, finger mullet or cut-bait.

The sea on the Gulf side is calmer - but the fishing not as good.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    I fish off the beach all the time on the Atlantic side.

If you go to any of the fishing bait shops they will give you advice - Wal-Mart are about the cheapest for tackle. Or just chat to a fisherman on the beach.

The best/simplest for general purpose fishing is a Pompano rig. This consists of a leader with 2 or 3 hooks to which you clip a sinker. I have caught everything from a few ounces to a 30lb shark.

The weight of sinker depends on the size of the surf and/or current. Sometimes a 2 ounce will suffice other times a 10 oz won't. A 4oz pryamid sinker is the best compromise.

There are variations on the Pompano rig theme - lighter or heavier - depending on what you are aiming to catch.

You really need a good surf rod and rod holder - again they are not expensive from Wal-mart. I have 2 x 16ft and a 12 ft. 12lb - 20lb mono line is best IMO.

Bait can be shrimp, clam, finger mullet or cut-bait.

The sea on the Gulf side is calmer - but the fishing not as good.
    [/quote]This is brilliant info and just what I was looking for. I have just googled Pompano rig looking for a diagram and found you can buy rigs ready tied for just $1.49!!!! even better, I used to love tying my own rigs but the old eyesight aint what it used to be. So far I have only fished the Gulf as my wife prefers the calmer waters. We are over again in Feb and I will report back on how I got on. Thanks very much.

Could you also recommend a good place on the atlantic coast? Nic