Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travellers Cheques

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for the info guys.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I buy TCs when the exchange rate is good then decide when I am away do I use the TCs or the CC (nationwide). When we go in 2 weeks I think we will be using the TCs as I bought them at $2 the commercial rate today is $1.49
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I buy TCs when the exchange rate is good then decide when I am away do I use the TCs or the CC (nationwide). When we go in 2 weeks I think we will be using the TCs as I bought them at $2 the commercial rate today is $1.49[/quote]

What a good idea, I hadn't thought of doing that

Mind you I wasn't aware that Sterling would weaken, then neither were my pals in the City.

So what is your tip today? should I buy TCs?

What if the US$ gets weaker - won't I lose money

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
    I buy TCs when the exchange rate is good then decide when I am away do I use the TCs or the CC (nationwide).
    [/quote]

Trouble is, you only know whether the rate is 'Good' sometime after you buy the TC's. As you've pointed out, the rate when you bought is good only in terms of where it is today. We'll only know if today's rate is worth buying in a few weeks/months/years time, by which time, of course, it's too late!

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Lyn
    I buy TCs when the exchange rate is good then decide when I am away do I use the TCs or the CC (nationwide).
    [/quote]

Trouble is, you only know whether the rate is 'Good' sometime after you buy the TC's. As you've pointed out, the rate when you bought is good only in terms of where it is today. We'll only know if today's rate is worth buying in a few weeks/months/years time, by which time, of course, it's too late!
    [/quote]

If only we could predict the future we would all be rich[msnwink] The change in exchange rate is such a big impact on the cost of a trip to Florida though. I was looking through our records from Feb this year and if we do the same things and buy a similar level of stuff, next years trip is going to cost us about £1,500 more - that is a really big difference.[msncry]

In the past, largely because of the exchange rate, everything in Florida has seemed such good value - I guess that this is no longer the case.

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    We have been going since 93 and the exchange rate over the years has been up and down $2 being the highest but has been as low as $1.35, doesn't stop us going just adjust the place we stay and where we visit. I would always choose a villa but if the only way I could aford to go was by staying in a cheap hotel then so be it.
    Lyn

Florida Savvy
    You can't have your ID stolen off the back of TC's!! With so many tourists to the states this is becoming more & more common with cards being used! For instance - when the waiter/waitress disappears with your card for payment at the end of your meal, it's not always being swiped in just the restaurant machine!!

Always used TC's and always will! Just my view [msnwink]

Clayton, Pippa & Heather

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You can't have your ID stolen off the back of TC's!! With so many tourists to the states this is becoming more & more common with cards being used! For instance - when the waiter/waitress disappears with your card for payment at the end of your meal, it's not always being swiped in just the restaurant machine!!

Always used TC's and always will! Just my view [/quote]

So you must use TC's in UK then?

or are you confident that it is only in Florida where your card might be cloned?

Florida Expert
    I always prefer to use cash when on holiday, so the scenario of the waiter/waitress swiping my card to steal my identity has never worried me. But then neither has it bothered me in the UK, Kuwait, Qatar etc where I have used my cards on many occassions and - so far - have kept my ID all to myself.

I also thought that card swiping was actually on the decrease due to chip and pin, and as you are unlikely to be able to have your identity stolen via your card alone (due to the fact that it doesnt contain your address, date of birth nor even your full name on some occassions) this really is something people shouldn't be worrying too much about.

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:You can't have your ID stolen off the back of TC's!! With so many tourists to the states this is becoming more & more common with cards being used! For instance - when the waiter/waitress disappears with your card for payment at the end of your meal, it's not always being swiped in just the restaurant machine!!

Always used TC's and always will! Just my view [/quote]

So you must use TC's in UK then?

or are you confident that it is only in Florida where your card might be cloned?

[/quote]

The point is about tourists being vulnerable in a different country!!

I don't tend to eat out every night in different restaurants in the UK or have a habbit of giving my card to just anyone who will disappear with it!!

Clayton, Pippa & Heather