Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Travellers Cheques

Florida Expert
    We used TC (amex) and cc (nationwide) in Walmart in Aug/ Sept this year both with no problems. I would never rely soley on a cc over there as I am not comfortable using them for small purchases whereas you can use a TC like cash. You can buy them when you feel the rate is good. I certainly feel there is a good use for them and they are not out dated at all.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I can't remember the last time we used travellers cheques - and have certainly never used them in Florida.
    We have just opened a Nationwide account after all the positive comments on this, and other, Florida forums. They also do a dollar account which I am looking into, which would work perfectly for me as I am paid in dollars (but into a UK sterling account) and this would cut out changing it back and forth when we next go to Florida in February.[/quote]

I obviously use Nationwide debit and credit cards when abroad - there simply is no better way of obtaining US$ - best exchange rate and no charges.

Unfortuately the Nationwide US$ account is simply for savings and has restrictions on withdrawls; also no debit/credit card facility or cheque book. So it wouldn't suit the purpose you require.

You might like to look at Citibank UK. They have(obviously) Sterling current and saving accounts, but also linked US$ current and saving accounts.

You can transfer instantly on-line or by telephone between the US$ and UK£ accounts(and vice versa) and you have a US$ cheque book and debit card.
    There are no bank charges as long as you keep £2,000 accross the various accounts.
    The exchange rates are a cent or two lower than Nationwide, but much better than other credit cards and of course Travellers cheques.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info Robert. I will certainly look into the Citi Bank account and, hopefully, get it up and running before Feb. I have only given the Nationwide a cursory glance up to now as it was mentioned by their advisor that they have a dollar account, but you have saved me a lot of time there.
    I must admit to being suprised, when reading this thread, that so many people still take TC. I thought they were a thing of the past and a bit of a pain. When thinking back we used them once in Majorca in the days before our Florida trips and said 'never again' That was back in 2000 I think.

Kenny

Florida Expert
    We never use them in Europe as it's not as easy as cash or CC but when you can use them in Florida as easy as cash but with more protection I can't see why anyone would think they were outdated. You can't pay for everything with debit or credit card. As someone else has said before, if we hadn't bought our tc when we did we would have had far less spends as the rate deteriated. If you have a bank account in the states or a dollar account then it would seem to be a whole different ball game. Personal preference at the end of the day as with most things.

Florida Chatterbox
    Hi. Just returned and exchanged my AMEX travellers cheques at The Bank of America in Celebration. Only had to go twice during the fortnight and we were visiting Celebration anyway to have breakfast in the Market Street Cafe.

Hope this helps

Garry Pullan

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by gpullan
    Hi. Just returned and exchanged my AMEX travellers cheques at The Bank of America in Celebration. Only had to go twice during the fortnight and we were visiting Celebration anyway to have breakfast in the Market Street Cafe.

Hope this helps
    [/quote]

Of course it's a matter of personal choice but I don't see any advantage to TC's especially if you're just going to use them to draw cash. You can do the same with a debit card and draw the exact amount you need at more or less any ATM. Even when you use them for purchases you receive your change in cash so what's the advantage?

I did use them years ago before credit/debit cards took hold but I've haven't found a need for them for a very long time. However, if people feel happier with them, that might be a reason in itself.

Don't use Travellers Cheques anymore. As above prefer to use Cash.

We now have a pre-paid card from Travelex known as a Cash Passport. It is ment to be replacing Travellers Cheques. All you do is pre-load your card with your choice of currency and you get face value with no charges for transactions whilsts visiting that country. The only charge you would get is for using an ATM. We currently have a Euro Cash Passport which we can use anywhere in Europe, as you have already pre-loaded your card with Euro's you get face value and not the present exchange rate. As we are heading off to Florida next year I will be getting the US Dollar Cash Passport Card. They are accepted in most places and seem to be coming very popular. There are a number of companies offering these cards and as they are pre-loaded before your Holiday then you are simply using money and not putting things you purchase on credit.
    With the travelex card you can also track your transactions on line which i'm sure you will be able to do with all the cards.
    We find it very easy to use and had know problems when we were in Skiathos Greece this year.

I must be a thing of the past as I still use Dollar travellers cheque's and used them in Walmart in October with no problem.

Val

Florida Savvy
    I always use TCs (amex) in the USA, but never in Europe. In the US they are treated as cash in most places without a problem.

In europe I use cash or CCS only.

Plastic for me - Im a Nationwide girl, never had a problem and usually find a get a better exchange rate.

Diane.

wrpac00
    I just transfer money over to my US account and draw it out of an ATM. Most of the time I use my Virgin CC though.