Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travellers Cheques

Florida Savvy

Travellers Cheques

I have recently heard that Walmart no longer accept travellers cheques. Can anyone verify this and if this is true where can you cash dollar travellers cheques or do i need to just go to a bank and cash. Eg Bank of America on US27

Gold 5 Star Member
    Any reason why you still use travellers cheques? IMO like Postal Orders, they belong to a bygone age.

Surely anyone travelling to the USA has a debit and/or credit card?

Florida Savvy
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988
    Any reason why you still use travellers cheques? IMO like Postal Orders, they belong to a bygone age.

Surely anyone travelling to the USA has a debit and/or credit card?

[/quote]Using cards leaves you open to fluctuation in echange rate between spending and bills coming through. With travellers cheques you know exactly what you have got.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Florida2009
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Robert5988

[/quote]Using cards leaves you open to fluctuation in echange rate between spending and bills coming through.

[/quote]

I don't know which card you have but with all my accounts the rate is determined when each card purchase is made, not when the bill is sent.

Florida Expert
    I can't remember the last time we used travellers cheques - and have certainly never used them in Florida.
    We have just opened a Nationwide account after all the positive comments on this, and other, Florida forums. They also do a dollar account which I am looking into, which would work perfectly for me as I am paid in dollars (but into a UK sterling account) and this would cut out changing it back and forth when we next go to Florida in February.

Kenny

Florida Expert
    Walmart still accept TC's. However, I'm pretty sure it is only Amercian Express ones. Every other shop still accept them too.

American Express travellers cheques are teh best ones to have as a lot of the smaller shops do not always recognies for example Visa travellers cheques. We have used Amex travellers cheques in Wal Mart with no problems when we were in Florida August this year,

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:I can't remember the last time we used travellers cheques - and have certainly never used them in Florida.
    We have just opened a Nationwide account after all the positive comments on this, and other, Florida forums. They also do a dollar account which I am looking into, which would work perfectly for me as I am paid in dollars (but into a UK sterling account) and this would cut out changing it back and forth when we next go to Florida in February.[/quote]

I obviously use Nationwide debit and credit cards when abroad - there simply is no better way of obtaining US$ - best exchange rate and no charges.

Unfortuately the Nationwide US$ account is simply for savings and has restrictions on withdrawls; also no debit/credit card facility or cheque book. So it wouldn't suit the purpose you require.

You might like to look at Citibank UK. They have(obviously) Sterling current and saving accounts, but also linked US$ current and saving accounts.

You can transfer instantly on-line or by telephone between the US$ and UK£ accounts(and vice versa) and you have a US$ cheque book and debit card.
    There are no bank charges as long as you keep £2,000 accross the various accounts.
    The exchange rates are a cent or two lower than Nationwide, but much better than other credit cards and of course Travellers cheques.

Florida Expert
    I always take Dollar Travellers Cheques to the US.

Use the cashpoint and take a small amount of cash when travellin Europe.

Florida Savvy
    Always use cash, TCs, and CCs over debit cards unless you have a Nationwide one as mentionned above. I can't have one as they don't offer accounts to those who live off shore.

As for TCs, I bought some a few months back and got 2.05 dollars to the pound. If I had waited to use a card last week, it would have been 1.5- 1.6 plus fees. I used many of them in Walmart, including $100 ones. Not only were they taken, and cash given as change, they didn't even ask for ID. I also used them easily in Publix and Macy's as well. But only get Amex ones, and be aware some that lower value outlets like Ponderosa may no longer take them.