Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is odd.........

Gold 5 Star Member

This is odd.........

I have just watched an interview on the morning news with an American woman who suffered a stroke, and when she came out of it, she spoke with a compulsive British accent. An Oxford study has documented this is a disorder that is a disruption of the language center in the brain. Odd thing is, not only does she have the accent, but she also has the vocabulary and the phrases that seem to be peculiar to British english. She was even interviewed along with a Neuro-Linguistic Expert from the University of Central Florida who concurred that this is a disruption of the speech area of the brain. I would have thought she was faking it, but it seems to be a documented condition! [:0]
    Teresa

Site Owner and Admin floridadreamvilla.co.uk's Avatar
    Bolas Heath, Shropshire, UK and Crescent Lakes, Kissimmee, USA.
    Hmmm...I'd be interested to hear her as the common American conception of what British people speak like it often quite different from reality. We find quite a few American's expect us to speak like those "tally-ho chaps" wartime fighter pilots [msnwink]

Gold 5 Star Member
    We still speak like that down here in London John

Actually I have seen a documentary about this sort of thing before, where people wake from
    a coma and have changed accents, very odd
    Chrisj

Freya (who is 3) says certain words with a very pronounced west country accent even though she has never been there or to my knowledge had any prolonged exposure to anyone with that kind of accent. Her cousin who is the same age does the same too....very odd.

Chris: I thought they all talked of jellied eels and such like in London [msnwink][msntongue]

Gold 5 Star Member
    yuk, have you ever tried them, my nan used to make me eat them and ive hated them ever since.

Language is a very strange thing, Im sure ive also got a book about this subject at home somewhere. Will have to have a look for it
    Chrisj

We're all veggies thankfully so have not had that pleasure .

quote:Originally posted by chrisj

yuk, have you ever tried them, my nan used to make me eat them and ive hated them ever since.

wair oi cum vrom, we alllll torlk loik dis, naht loik u propaar gentree
    Wilf & Sarah

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent? Catriona spoke certain words in an american accent due to Muppet Babies and something called Kissyfur (floridian gators etc!) and of course Sesame Street.

Sadly it will be all too soon when all they speak is estuary. I do wonder about the how much we pay in school fees to hear them dropping their t's etc. all the time.
    Fiona

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by floridadreamvilla.co.uk

Freya (who is 3) says certain words with a very pronounced west country accent even though she has never been there or to my knowledge had any prolonged exposure to anyone with that kind of accent. Her cousin who is the same age does the same too....very odd.

Chris: I thought they all talked of jellied eels and such like in London [msnwink][msntongue]
    I'm West Country.... Bristol....England I'll add....hehehe
    Anyone else here from there....?

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by fiona

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent? Catriona spoke certain words in an american accent due to Muppet Babies and something called Kissyfur (floridian gators etc!) and of course Sesame Street.

Sadly it will be all too soon when all they speak is estuary. I do wonder about the how much we pay in school fees to hear them dropping their t's etc. all the time.
    Kissyfur.....we used to call our son kissyfur when he was a baby....his names Christopher.....gezzz.....hes 15 now......time flies......