Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is odd.........

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by fiona

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent?
    We only get the Teletubbies from Britain over here in this house... You mean you all don't say Ah-oh!!![8D]
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-551.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    quote:Originally posted by mm69340

quote:Originally posted by fiona

John has Freya been watching something on the TV or video with a west country accent?
    We only get the Teletubbies from Britain over here in this house... You mean you all don't say Ah-oh!!![8D]
    Thomas the tank engine gets me.....no Fat Controller.....he's Mr Topumhat......and you can't watch it without Ringos voice...its not right.....[msnsad]

Gold 5 Star Member
    Now there's a woman who also had a stroke and now speaks with a French accent! Doesn't know how to speak French, but went to Paris once.
    Teresa

Florida Expert
    You all need to hear Robin Williams do his cockney accent. It's priceless. Sounds like he's from Camden Town!
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

Florida Chatterbox
    I have a habit of saying "TA" pronounced tar when i am thanking someone and it drives my American friend mad.

We might be eating out and when the waiter/waitress serves me i will often say "TA" despite the fact he/she does not have a clue what i'm saying.

In fact on my last trip we were eating at Hops and i said "TA" to a waitress and my friend asked her if she knew what i had said and she replied no,i have no idea..point taken,but wont stop me saying it in the future,and besides its not my fault the Americans cant talk proper English is it[msntongue]

John

My standard reply is often"cheers" which I don't think is understood any better than "ta".
    Funnily enough "ta" is often used when parents are inducing their infants to say thankyou before they can speak properly, ta ta ta is one of the first vocalizations a baby makes ( other tha Da Da dA[msnsad]) I wonder what American parents try to get their infanfs to say for "thankyou"
    Theresa, do you have the answer[msnsmile2]

Liz

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think most parents just try to teach the kids "thank you". I think the young kids usually come out with something similar to "tanks" because they can't make the "th" sound. You are right that no one here would have a clue what "ta" is. I didn't know until I just read this. What is the exact meaning of "cheers"? I always thought it was just a form of saying goodbye.
    Teresa

Gold 5 Star Member
    I thought you might have known about 'cheers' from the American TV series Teresa? It's really a salutation when you clink glasses and drink alcohol but it seems to have spread to mean 'thanks' as well in some places.
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    "Cheers" was one of my favorite shows, and I know the term is used in that context, but I wouldn't have taken it to mean "thanks", just some sort of general salutation or greeting. You learn something new every day.
    Teresa

The Germans say "Cheers" for goodbye, but it comes out like "chEEErse"