Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Any special events for thanksgiving

Florida Newbie

Any special events for thanksgiving

I don't really know much about thanksgiving but will be in orlando this year for it. Is there any special events on to attend like fireworks or parades or anything, or is it very much a 'visiting family' kind of event? Have read the threads about eating out etc and we are not really too bothered about that (steak on the bbq will do just fine) but if there is anything special on, we would be interested.

Anyone have any information or top tips of things to do?

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    I will be there for Thanksgiving this year - are there any parades I can go to?
    Lyn

Gold 5 Star Member
    Thanksgiving is generally an "at home" be with the family type of day, a bit like Christmas day is here in the UK. Most of the day is spent around the Thanksgiving meal which is a big event and for which everyone tries to get home.

The parks are open but tend to be really busy so you need to arrive as early as you can in case they start restricting entry. Other than that, in our experience everywhere is rather quiet.

Don't forget that the Christmas decorations go up before Thanksgiving though so there are those to see and wonder at.

Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving - is just the opposite with huge sales starting in most major storess from around 4 - 6 am and traffic anywhere near any stores heaving! If you're not intending to join in the rush for bargains (and you need to be up real early to catch the best ones), then stay away from any roads that lead to stores before you get gridlocked!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    You can watch Macys big Thanksgiving Day parade on TV in the morning. There used to be a big parade at Downtown Orlando but not sure if that is being held. You may find closer to the time.
    Babblin Boo

Chatham Park, Kissimmee & Glenfield, Leicester
    Thanks for that, will watch Macys parade on TV. Will give Black Friday a miss this year as we fly home that day. Next year we plan to be there for my daughters 30th which is 27th November so, never mind the holiday she is saving for the Black Friday sales already[msnsmile2]
    Lyn