Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ARGGGHHHH!

Gold 5 Star Member
    As I have two young children there is no way I would consider taking them off school for three weeks, besides our schools would not allow it. Three weeks is a long time in the classroom.
    Paula

My son is 6 and his school has refused permission for him to have 6 days off in December.

Jude
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/Villas/1964.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    As the law currently stands it says that children may be absent for up to 10 days in term time to accompany the family on holiday with the schools permission. I think the last bit is a bit unfair because it invariably comes down to the head teacher or goevernors personal opinion and since some people are restricted to when they can take their holidays it is unfair to penalise the children.
    Babblin Boo

I know where both parties are coming from. I wouldn't even take my son out of school for a weeks holiday never mind 3 weeks.

It is probably harder for your friends to take their children out of school now they are older but they are still going to do that so I think if you want really want to go on holiday with this family then you should compromise with them, if you are going to be there over thanksgiving anyway what difference does it make which week it is.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Florida Newbie
    Hey all thanks for your replies and i understand where you are all coming from, we wearn't to bothered about having thanks giving as the last week, as we usually use that week to wind down and finish any shopping we have left to do. we have now however left it up to them to decide, like some of you have said, we aren't worried about paying an extra week if they only come for two. I think the point the other family were trying to say is (as Tonish said) that if it's nearer the end of term it wouldn't matter so much. can i just ask another question....

Has anyone been during thanksgiving? Were the parks/roads busy? and did it make any difference to the price?

Thanks again for all your replies.
    Katie

I would personally avoid the parks on Thanksgiving and at least the following Friday and Saturday as this is a holiday for most in the US, although many do work on the Friday. I would use these days as rest days and maybe visit things such as ICE which you can pre book or have a game of crazy golf. The shops are crazy on these days, with many opening at 5 in the morning
    Shirley

Florida Newbie
    Thanks Shirley. sorry to sound dumb but what/where is ICE?
    Katie

Florida Newbie
    Hey all thought i'd update you on the situation......
    have just spoken to our friends and think we may have come to an agreement, they dont mind taking the children out of school a little later (mid Nov) as they aren't doing much work, just practising for productions and parties for xmas. So we have decided to go 16th Nov- 7th Dec, plus it might be quite nice to experience Thanksgiving and Black friday!!!!
    So if anyone has any good suggestions of how to spend thanksgiving they will be most appreiciated.

Thanks Again
    Katie

Florida Junior
    I work in a school and would like to put across where we stand. Although the guidance states that we can still authorise up to 10 days absence per school year(at the discretion of the headteacher) we are being put under increasing pressure by the LEAs to only do that in extenuating circumstances. All schools have attendance targets to meet,not to mention performance league tables to consider, so in a school where meeting those targets is borderline you are less likely to get permission. If you do get permission to take a child out for 10 days in any school year, then the school (any school) is obliged by law to record the other 5 days as an unauthorised absence. All schools have termly register checks by the Education Welfare Officer (we used to call them truancy officers). If a child's attendance falls below 85% that's when they become involved. I've known people to be fined before now for 'persistant absence'. And here's the problem, if you have a 10 day holiday in the Autumn term, and if your child is unlucky enough to be off ill too, that's going to take you below 85%. Let me give you an example, we've been back at school 8 weeks this Friday, a child who has had 10 days in Florida plus been off ill for one day will have a percentage attendance right now of less than 70%. At this early stage in the school year, that will be flagged and monitored but as you can imagine to pull that back the child's future attendance will have to be good to excellent i.e. they can't afford to be ill! For what it's worth, I believe that families enjoying some quality time together on a holiday is beneficial and justifiable. Unfortunately, the DSCF and the LEAs don't see it the same way.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for your reply KH2508. You have made a good point. I think the children will be fine with the attendence thing as it isn't every year. We have spoken to one of the teachers who has children herself and she has said, as a mother she would take them out nearer to Crimbo, which is what we have decided.

Thanks again, everyones opinion is valid and taken on board.
    Katie