Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Surround Sound

Florida Newbie

Surround Sound

Sorry i know this isnt a joke but could do with some advice.

We bought a new hdtv with a surround sound dvd kit. The surround sound works great when watching a dvd but doesnt through normal tv. Does anyone have any idea how to get that working.The instructions are no help.

Thanks

Just a blind guess, but would suggest that you need an extra cable to feed the sound from the TV receiver (audio out) back to the surround amp (audio in).

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Also you will find that not all programmes are produced in surround sound and will only use the front speakers. like news programmes etc.
    CERI

Florida Expert
    We have to switch our DVD player on then select the specific output from that to get it to play TV movies etc in surround sound. (on ours it means pressing the 'source' button on the remote) We have no extra cables other than the ones that came with the package and allow us to watch DVDs.

Have you tried searching for a forum or help page on the internet to see if someone out there has the answer. Try typing the make of your tv followed by forums and see what turns up.

Kenny

We have also a button on the DVD remote that is marked with TV.
    We have the same brand for surround and Tv and can use the DVD surround to switch on/Off TV and surround and then push TV and the sound from TV is on the surround.There is no extra cables. The sound on TV is always set to the lowest level, or else it will not sound good.

Bente
    Bente

The only solution to this type of problem is to find a teenager and bribe him/her with a CD. I have always found this sorts my electronic gadget difficulties.
    Tonish

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Do you view the tv channels through a sky box or virgin box
    CERI

I was serious about the teenager thing... but if there isn't one handy, you need a separate feed from the sky box (if you use one) to the surround sound amplifier. The amp should have enough input connections for two or three separate devices. If no sky box, there should be some kind of "sound out" feed from the TV - either one special single connection, the name of which escapes me, for which you need a specific type of cable, or via two audio sockets.

Once you get the connections sorted, there's a whole mystery area to get into with the remote to get it to select the appropriate input for whatever device you want to listen to.

I appreciate the difficulties.
    Tonish

Shy plus boxes have optical out which is the best one to use. Just keep in ind that not everything is broadcast in 5.1 despite sky claims about this.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    I was serious about the teenager thing... but if there isn't one handy, you need a separate feed from the sky box (if you use one) to the surround sound amplifier. The amp should have enough input connections for two or three separate devices. If no sky box, there should be some kind of "sound out" feed from the TV - either one special single connection, the name of which escapes me, for which you need a specific type of cable, or via two audio sockets.

Once you get the connections sorted, there's a whole mystery area to get into with the remote to get it to select the appropriate input for whatever device you want to listen to.

I appreciate the difficulties.
    [/quote]