Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do on Thanksgiving

Florida Expert

what to do on Thanksgiving

My other half and i will be in Florida for thanksgiving. Anyone got any good suggestions as to where to go and what to do?
    Joyce
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1917.aspx

Florida Savvy
    My advice would be to stay at home!
    Last time we visited at Thanksgiving I thought the Parks would be empty - everybody at home having dinner with their families & loved ones. WRONG! Most of them seemed to be in Magic Kingdom - it was heaving. Even some out-of-state Americans we spoke to were supprised at how busy it was.

You could try booking a meal somewhere but I guess the restaurants will be busy also. You may be lucky and get a 'walk-in' as ther are just two of you - but I wouldn't bank on it - certainly not in any of the Disney restaurants / hotels anyway.
    Alan

http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1732.aspx

I imagine quite a lot will be closed also.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Everywhere apart from the parks is really quiet or closed and there's little traffic.

You need to find out in advance what restaurants are open on that day (not many 'chain' type ones are) and may need to make a booking at one of the few that are open.

Still, you'll need a day of rest for the following day, Black Friday, when all the sales start at about 5 or 6 am! It's a manic day at most shopping areas so don't expect to arrive later in the day and find a parking space because you'll probably be unlucky.

At Best Buy/Barnes & Noble on OBT just outside Florida Mall there were police trying to control the car park which was in a terrible mess. People had trollies piled high with goodies from Best Buy and, if you managed to get a parking space, you could hardly fight your way in or out of the store. There are a lot of determined Americans on a bargain mission out there!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm usually in Florida over Thanksgiving and will be again this year. I've never had a problem finding dinner without reservations and quite a few of the chains are open. If you want a tasty and cheap Turkey feast, Perkins is worth a try.

If you intend to join the masses on Black Friday (why is it called that?) check the local TV channels who update the parking and traffic situation almost by the minute. It's a serious business!

Florida Expert
    The reason it is called "Black Friday" is because it is THE biggest shopping day of the year and the stores usually end up in the black (make money) for the year because of this day.
    Cheryl

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by cherylzw
    The reason it is called "Black Friday" is because it is THE biggest shopping day of the year and the stores usually end up in the black (make money) for the year because of this day.
    [/quote]

Thanks for that - that's interesting because usually a Black prefix denotes a negative. (Black Monday, Black mark, Black sheep etc...)

Gold 5 Star Member
    But there again, it's the opposite to being 'in the red' which is a negative for finance.
    blott

Florida Expert
    It sounds like I had better stay away from the shops on Black Friday as we are flying home that day and could end up missing our flight!!
    Thanks for the advice re restaurants. did wonder about somewhere like the Peabody or Gaylord Palms but guess they will be pricey.
    Joyce
    www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1917.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    I had Thanksgiving Dinner in the Peabody a few years ago. It cost around 10 times what I paid in Perkins and, frankly, wasn't that much different.