Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: feeling ill.....

Gold 5 Star Member
    Are any of the sites particularly red that got bitten Liesa, if one of the bites has got infected it may need antibiotics. Like Chris I was going to suggest that West Nile virus is on the increase in the US , more so than malaria. Has been for a while I think, our first trip 11 years ago as we got to checkin Virign gave us a leaflet at teh airport about it and saying that repellant should be used at dawn and dusk when they are most active, Boots at Gatwick did very well out of all the passengers going there. It is highly unlikely and as you say is more likely to be a bug than anything else as it is still very rare to get anything more serious.
    If it was somethiong you had eaten it would probably have made you sick within a couple of hours.
    Hope by the time you are reading this youre feeling better anyway.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    I don't think West Nile is very likely as there were only three human cases reported in the whole of Florida in 2006 compared to 354 in Texas and 278 in California in the same period according to the CDC.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better apart from the sniffles so perhaps it was just the beginnings of a cold. I think if it was anything serious you'd be feeling worse over time rather than better.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    It could also be a chill from the A/C...I was always sick in FL before we moved here...and I was told it was the cold air...[/quote]The only problems I've heard of from air conditioning is so-called 'sick buildings syndrome' in office buildings and you have to be in an affected office building for about 40 hours a week, every week, to experience it and feel fine when outside of the building.
    blott

Florida Expert
    A friend of mine went to Australia and kept getting bitten by mossies. Anyway she went to the chemists and was told to take vitamin B12. Aparently it is great at repelling mossies. In tablet form though it takes two weeks to get into the system but in liquid for -which apparently tastes yuk- it take two days. May be worth looking into if you are prone to bites.

Hope you are feeling better Leisa.

Gold 5 Star Member
    The other recommended repellant for mzzies apart from the B12 is Marmite, apparently if you eat it then it gives quit good protection.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Perhaps it could be a reaction to a bite, try some antihistamine. Zirtek one a day are good.

Lizb

Florida Chatterbox
    Marmite?! I eat it practically every day and still get bitten to pieces, both at home and away, so it isn't a very good repellent for me. Maybe I should smear it on!!

I too would say to try Zirtek - much cheaper in Orlando as well (Wal Mart, or similar).

CLAIRE
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-572.aspx

managed to eat a slice if pizza last night and felt ok, still sniffly, tummy feels strange probably just empty, thankyou for all your advice.... will get some zirtek and see if that does anything xxxx

am just taking it easy today
    Liesa

Gold 5 Star Member
    Liesa if the weather is still very sunny you may find Clarytin better than Zirtek. The Zirtek contains Cetirizine which can make your skin photosensitive and more likely to get sunburn but the Loratidine in Clarytin doesnt have the same effect and still is a non drowsy formula.
    My daughter uses Zirtek all year in the Uk but switches to Clarytin when in the US (she doesnt find it quite so effective as Zirtek but still works ok.
    Babblin Boo

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    I don't think West Nile is very likely as there were only three human cases reported in the whole of Florida in 2006 compared to 354 in Texas and 278 in California in the same period according to the CDC.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better apart from the sniffles so perhaps it was just the beginnings of a cold. I think if it was anything serious you'd be feeling worse over time rather than better.<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by chrizzy100
    It could also be a chill from the A/C...I was always sick in FL before we moved here...and I was told it was the cold air...[/quote]The only problems I've heard of from air conditioning is so-called 'sick buildings syndrome' in office buildings and you have to be in an affected office building for about 40 hours a week, every week, to experience it and feel fine when outside of the building.
    [/quote]

Mine was a chill...feeling hot blocked up etc..it was going from hot to cold all the time...the US doctor told me years ago it was common most people just thought they had picked up a bug or cold on holiday but that was years ago thinking...I think you do pick bugs up more when in a different area..and that maybe the AC just throws the bugs at you more..lol!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by LiesaAnna
    managed to eat a slice if pizza last night and felt ok, still sniffly, tummy feels strange probably just empty, thankyou for all your advice.... will get some zirtek and see if that does anything xxxx

am just taking it easy today
    [/quote]

I get a funny tum from drinking to much in the hot weather...I have it now its been so hot and humid where I live..but I get it more in FL...I have to keep away from tea coffee and milk...but iced green tea seems fine...I don't eat a lot in FL...its always way to hot to eat much...hope you feel better soon..I'm with Blott West Nile would not be the first thing that came to my mind in Orlando..West Nile comes in 3 stages..most people never even know thay have it..the last stage is rare...and you would really know you had it..
    I go to FL a lot...and I always end up ill at some point..