Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Fly Drive

Florida Chatterbox

Virgin Fly Drive

I'm looking to book a virgin fly drive for next year. The flight is a good price but I don't want the car hire as they are charging the earth (much cheaper from the link above). Is it still ok to book for the 'free' car but just not collect it at the airport. Has anyone done this recently
    Karen

Florida Savvy
    "The flight is a good price but I don't want the car hire "

What is it a good price compared to ?

I've spent quite a lot of time in the last two weeks looking at Virgin FlyDrives. They appear to try to rope you in with a good "headline" price, but when you follow the booking process through, it becomes extortionate.

Having typed in the dates I wanted, the holiday I was looking at was priced at £2209, which sounded pretty good. Then when it came to sorting the car, it was the lowest base model with only third-party insurance. Virgin's "deal" for the insurance, was, I think, £15 extra per day. Multiplied x 28 days, that's alot of extra dosh. Then on top of that the car had only been quoted for 14 days when the flights had been typed in for 28, so they wanted another 14 days hire charge.

Had I been able to get the whole thing for £2209, (I was costing in £500 for the car hire bit) the flights would have been about £570 each - a reasonable, but not wonderful, deal. When I divide £2209 by 3, it becomes over £730 each for the flight and that is deinitely NOT cheap. For example I can already get BA flights at £671. I'm holding fire until all the airfares are released for next summer (around the 24th September) and then I'll decide which to buy.

Even if you are allowed to deff the car (as they say in Birmingham), and I reckon Virgin wouldn't be too happy about that, I'd look very carefully at my sums before going for it. It's early days yet on flights for next year.

Florida Expert
    I assume that you re looking to book with Virgin Holidays? try virgin atlantic as you can purchase just the flights off them, the down side is though that you have to pay in full when you book. Have you tried the link from this site for flights? quite often they can can you better deals still using virgin flights.
    Eric

Gold 5 Star Member
    We have booked Virgin hols fly drive for Christmas as wehn we looked they were around £4 dearer per person than flight only price or going through an agent whose car hire we would have to use. The car is cheaper on here. We've done this before. Advantage is that we didnt have to pay for the flights upfront just deposit and balance in Oct whic suits us better.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Junior
    I am also thinking of this, has anybody ever had problems from Virgin holidays after not picking up the car allocated by them?

Gold 5 Star Member
    Never in the past, will let you know Christmas.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Chatterbox
    Well I've gone ahead and booked the fly drive, but we are not going to collect the car. Flight price is the same as we paid 2 years ago flying with Virgin, so as far as I am concerned is a bargain. The car hire from Virgin was supposedly "free" for one week but then you have to pay for your second week, plus add the insurance which for us it works out £140 cheaper by booking Car Hire from the link above.

Have been speaking to a work colleague who did the same thing last month and had no problems.
    Karen

Gold 5 Star Member
    Karen
    Another reason we thought we'd book with them is that for £15 you can also use their new Vroom at Gatwick South so thought it mmight make the airport time less boring. You get a fast track pass through security and inclusive hot, cold food and drinks plus internet access etc if you want.
    havent seen from anyone who has used it yet as it only opened in June so will look for feedback.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Junior
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Budboy
    I am also thinking of this, has anybody ever had problems from Virgin holidays after not picking up the car allocated by them?
    [/quote]

I did this in June this year, booked the fly drive didn't use the car (used Alamo from the above site, excellent) no problems at all. I've also booked the same again for next year for over £600 less than this years cost [clap]

Florida Chatterbox
    We have had Virgin flight and car in the past and just told them we did not want the car. It was no problem

Neil