Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Mobile Phone

Florida Newbie

Mobile Phone

We're planning to take a mobile phone with us next month...should i get an unlocked mobile and purchase a sim card over there or will my vodafone mobile just work anyway,it's not that we're looking to keep in contact with UK it's only for my paranoid piece of mind in case any of the kids get lost & baby sitting so the number / network is not an issue...does anyone have any ideas...cheers
    Duncan

Florida Savvy
    Well, there was a topic on this only a couple of weeks ago but it's either been deleted or moved for some reason, or maybe I'm just a dope because I can't find it anymore.

Anyway the gist of it was it depends on the individual. One poster only wanted to use a mobile for about 20 mins TOTAL on his stay so that would probably work out cheaper to simply use your own UK mobile and pay the full whack (about 80p per min depending on UK provider).
    Me and another poster found Net10 fantastic value. You can buy a Net10 Nokia ( we bought 2) in big Walmarts for $29.99 each and they have 300 mins (yes 5 hours) of airtime included. From your post, it would appear one of these phones would do the job.
    But I was informed there were "better deals out there", (although none were specified) so what do I know ?

Florida Newbie
    Sounds like a winner to me...thanks for that..
    Duncan

Florida Savvy
    Well, there you go.

Someone has decided it needed to be moved to the "shopping" section.

Florida Chatterbox
    is net 10 for use only in us? we are leavig our son here and wold like to call home thanks

You can call uk landlines only, does the villa you are staying in have free calls ( a lot do on this this site).

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by glasgowmary
    is net 10 for use only in us? we are leavig our son here and wold like to call home thanks
    [/quote]

Florida Savvy
    GlasgowMary : "is net 10 for use only in us? we are leavig our son here and wold like to call home thanks"

You can use Net10 to call UK landlines for 15c per minute.
    You can also text from Net10 to UK mobiles.

Florida Savvy
    my net 10 can't text UK mobiles, or call either. Just landlines.

Florida Savvy
    Atush : " my net 10 can't text UK mobiles, or call either. Just landlines."

Well, I'm typing this at my computer whilst looking at my O2 UK mobile which currently has in its inbox 27 texts from my daughter's Net10 phone - she's on a tour of the States and is in San Francisco as I speak.

Maybe your Net10 can't - the three we bought could.

Technology eh ? A marvellous thing.