Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptops

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Laptops

Is this new does anybody know?;
    "According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers can confiscate and detain travelers' laptops at the U.S. border without suspicion of wrongdoing. Laptops can be taken to an off-site location for an undisclosed period of time, during which officials may examine the computer's contents and share copies of files with other agencies. This policy applies to any other form of digital or analog storage device, including iPods, cell phones, flash drives, hard drives, and tapes."

Its nothing new, they can confiscate anything they like. Digital storage is the obvious place for storing masses of information, so fair game for border patrol.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
    Is this new does anybody know?;
    "According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers can confiscate and detain travelers' laptops at the U.S. border without suspicion of wrongdoing. Laptops can be taken to an off-site location for an undisclosed period of time, during which officials may examine the computer's contents and share copies of files with other agencies. This policy applies to any other form of digital or analog storage device, including iPods, cell phones, flash drives, hard drives, and tapes."

[/quote]

Florida Expert
    Worst case scenario they do take it presumably you get it back at some stage - do they tell you when or do you just have to wait for them to get in touch? DH has new ipod he's planning to take and has to take his work phone too.

It is highly unlikely that this will happen. In fact, not worth the effort of worrying about it. What will be, will be and I guess if you are one of the unlucky ones, you will be able to tell us what happens, as no one on here has probably had it happen to them.

Don't give yourselves unnessary worries.

Sandra

Florida Expert
    Thanks

Not really a problem if you back everything up, more of an inconvenience.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by sammibabe
    Thanks
    [/quote]

Florida Chatterbox
    I have taken my laptop and memory sticks to the US multiple times. Never had a problem.

John
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-1127.aspx

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    OK- Thanks all-didn't mean to alarm anybody just wondered whether it was another hoop to jump through but logically speaking I suppose all Customs officers US or UK could seize whatever they wanted-fair comment!

Florida Chatterbox
    I have taken my laptop to the US many times and never had a problem - They obviously need that in their policy and procedures (just in case) but I have never heard of it happening

Neil

I take my laptop wherever I go, just always make sure it is fully charged so that it can be turned on if requested(this has only occured once). Had to switch camcorder on once and camera once.
    Jan