Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMI Experience

Gold 5 Star Member

BMI Experience

After worrying about flying with BMI for the first time I thought I'd let you share my experience.

We booked the flights to Orlando via Chicago. We took our seats on the plane and found them very comfortable, the seat pitch was OK. The staff couldn't have been more helpful if they tried, without offending anyone they were a little older but definatley the most friendly we had come across, the only fault was the childrens meals I ordered didn't come. They were given adult meals which they had a little pick on, they didn't eat much but as we'd had a breakfast at Manchester they were not very hungry anyway. The hostess must have noticed this and an hour after lunch was served they brought my children sandwiches, crips and a chocolate bar, which i thought was great as the really didn't have to. For the very first time and probably because my youngest is able to sit for a while now we managed to watch two films.

After arriving at Chicago we had to pick up our luggage, this was immediately taken from us to go on the next flight. We practically flew through immigration though security (rightly so) was a little longer, we then headed over to Terminal 1 for the Orlando flight. At Terminal 1 there were plenty of places to grab a bite to eat and a Starbucks for that all important Caffeine fix.

The flight to Orlando was around 3 hours, the seat pitch on the inbound flight was much bigger than the Transatlantic flight, this flight was with Ted.

Arrived at Orlando and very quickly picked up our lugguage and car and before we knew it we had arrived, feeling a little tired but so excited.

The flight home was equally uneventful, we did the self service check in at Orlando and headed over to the gate. We only had half an hour before the flight started boarding so grabbed a bit to eat and before we knew it we were in the air. The flight from Chicago to Manchester was very comfortable. It had differnt films on from the way out which was good as I managed to watch one before settling my youngest down and even sleeping myself. We arrived at Manchester and our holiday was over.

Would I fly indirect again?? Yes I would, especially appealing as we saved almost £1000.00 from what a scheduled direct flight would have cost. We flew on our last trip PE with Virgin and can honestly say BMI was in our opinion far better, the seats, although we were in economy this time, were more comfortable and the staff were much more helpful. The PE on BMI looked far superior than PE with Virgin.
    Paula

We've not flown indirect as I'd hate to spend the last day of my holiday travelling. Your experience sounds very good though. What was your total travel time from Orlando to Manchester please?
    Regards, Mark

Gold 5 Star Member
    From leaving Orlando to reaching Manchester the travelling time was 12 hours, which isn't too bad.
    Paula

Florida Chatterbox
    If you are thinkig about travelling PE with BMI do yourself a favour and book it. We went PE from Manchester to Las Vegas direct and the journey was great. The seats have 48" of leg room and were very comfortable indeed. The whole experience was great and a fantastic start to the holiday.

We were supposed to fly back from Orlando to Manchester via Chicago with the Chicago leg of the journey with BMI again in PE, but didn't. It's a long story, however we were changed to PE with Virgin. There is no comparison with the PE service offered by BMI and I doubt I would opt to travel with Virgin again. The seats are probably the most uncomfortable I have sat in and we have used nearly all of the carriers over the years. I agree with you Paula that the seats on the Ted flights are good having taken a couple of internal flights this year with them.

Linda

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Paula D-S
    After arriving at Chicago we had to pick up our luggage, this was immediately taken from us to go on the next flight. We practically flew through immigration though security (rightly so) was a little longer, we then headed over to Terminal 1 for the Orlando flight. [/quote]Are you sure you didn't go through Customs with your luggage after Immigration at Chicago? This is what normally happens when you land in the US and Customs collect your form and then your luggage goes back via the Transit Desk.

I agree with you about BMI, we thought they were better than Virgin also. And the extra time you take at your transfer stop you save when you get to Orlando as you arrive as a US domestic passenger so it's almost as broad as it's long.
    blott

Mark,

We flew indirect last time, with Delta, Manchester to MCO via Atlanta and have booked the same for our trip this Saturday. I thought the time seemed to go much quicker than flying direct and would always fly indirect now if the price is right. The staff on US flights seem to be far more friendly too and nothing is too much trouble for them.

Glad you enjoyed BMI Paula, sorry you are back to our horrible summer weather.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by MarkJan
    We've not flown indirect as I'd hate to spend the last day of my holiday travelling. Your experience sounds very good though. What was your total travel time from Orlando to Manchester please?
    [/quote]
    Karen
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2185.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Paula D-S

We flew on our last trip PE with Virgin and can honestly say BMI was in our opinion far better, the seats, although we were in economy this time, were more comfortable and the staff were much more helpful. The PE on BMI looked far superior than PE with Virgin.
    [/quote]

BMI's Premium Economy from Manchester is in a different league from Virgin's (or BA's) product. In fact, it's not far behind some airlines' Business Class. I don't honestly think Virgin is anything special but they do have the direct service. With some real competition, they might have to reduce their fares.

Oddly enough, Richard Branson only seems to complain about monopoly routes when other airlines have them.[msnwink]

Florida Expert
    This is certainly a good option for all of our next visits. We have booked with Virgin again this time but I doubt we will use them again if you can get better service etc with other airlines.

I think Virgin need to do a few customer service courses, they seem to have forgotten that it is the customer that counts.
    Mary

We also prefer flying indirect as the time seems to go much quicker. If we can get a good price we like to fly from Norwich to Amsterdam and then on to Florida. Have to agree about the leg room with TED also it's excellent!

Gold 5 Star Member
    We use both direct flights with Virgin and BMI via Chicago to get to Orlando. I do have to say that i much prefer BMI as an airline (both are very good) however the good thing about Virgin is the direct flight.
    Cathy who travels alot with BMI got upgraded to the new PE on our last flight together with our son whilst i remained in the rear with our daughter but what i did see of PE was far better than the Virgin PE or the old BMI PE. The seats are alot wider,are electronically controlled and fully recline, larger TV screen, better meals, free drink etc, however i was quite happy to sit in normal economy.
    One of the advantages of indirect is that you clear immigration in Chicago so when you arrive in Orlando you walk straight off the plane and there are no queues at the car hire desks. It usually saves us quite a bit of money if the kids are on holiday as Virgin normally want about £1000 more than BMI.
    Neil & Cathy

http://www.orlandovillas.com/villas/1401.aspx