Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

OMG - my tracker is showing 1.39!!!!!

Florida Expert
    [beer]

Drinks are on me

[clap]

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pegasus928

Drinks are on me
    [/quote]

Is there something we should know?

[beer]

Drinks are on me

[clap]
    [/quote]

My quess is you are paid in Qatar currency (Dirhams?) Which are linked to the Dollar and you are getting a much better exchange rate when you come to the UK...... Mine's a G & T [msnwink]
    Shirley

Make mine a double......[msneek]

Florida Chatterbox
    $1.34 to the pound on travel ex this evening [msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry][msncry]

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by ShirleyD
    [beer]

Drinks are on me

[clap]
    [/quote]

My quess is you are paid in Qatar currency (Dirhams?) Which are linked to the Dollar and you are getting a much better exchange rate when you come to the UK...... Mine's a G & T [msnwink]
    [/quote]

Almost Shirley.

I am actually paid in dollars into a UK bank account.
    I do, however, fully appreciate how the drop in the pound is bad for the majority of people, and we will almost certainly notice a difference at the check-outs when we are over in Florida next week.
    But seeing as though the exchange rate is something I have no control over, and it could be moving the other way before we know it, I will enjoy it while I can.

One more thing Shirley - the currency here is Riyal. Just in case you need it in a pub quiz one day.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Although the current rate is absolutely dire and the worst for almost 30 years, this thread actually makes very interesting reading if you go back to the first page.

It's absolutely clear that nobody saw a fall of this magnitude coming and it's quite instructive to see how we all reassessed what we saw as a 'good rate' as the weeks and months go on. Personally, I'd be delighted with $1.50 today but saw $1.90 as quite poor only 5 months ago.

I think I already knew that making predictions in this area was foolish. I've now confirmed it.

Any takers for parity? Nothing's unthinkable anymore. The UK economy looks in much worse state than the US, UK interest rates have potentially another 1.5% to fall, and the government are talking about printing money. All bad news for the pound.

The only question is how much of that has already been built into the current rate. Trying to second guess/predict is just about useless, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped much lower.

Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    Any takers for parity? Nothing's unthinkable anymore. The UK economy looks in much worse state than the US, UK interest rates have potentially another 1.5% to fall, and the government are talking about printing money. All bad news for the pound.

The only question is how much of that has already been built into the current rate. Trying to second guess/predict is just about useless, but I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped much lower.

[/quote]

Actually, we aren't that far away from parity now in some areas. US prices don't include tax so the $1.34 really has to be viewed against $1.09 for a lot of items.

If you eat out and tip 20%, that and the tax means that each dollar on the menu requires an actual spend of over $1.30. Of course, you might well tip in the UK but probably not as much. Even so, it's closer that it first appears.

I think there might be an 'Obama effect' at present and, while I wish him well, I'm hoping that when it dawns on us that he can't actually walk on water or cure all the world's ills in his coffee break, the dollar might settle down a bit.