Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

Florida Chatterbox
    Yes definatly keep them if you can be worth it for your next trip[msnwink]

Florida Junior
    I'm not going back I'm afraid, that will have been out last trip out, with rising costs of everything and starting a family soon it will be a long time before we go again and the money would be handy to have now!
    We have had 3 great holidays in Florida though.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mo Green
    It hit a low of $1.38 in June, 2001 when we were having our villa built but as I remember it everything we paid for still seemed better value compared to the UK.

Mo
    [/quote]When we went to Florida in March 2002 the rate was only $1.30/£1.00. Everything still seemed very cheap compared to UK prices.

Even today with the tourist rate around $1.48 and the Market rate at $1.53 a quick perusal of the menus for a couple of my favourite restaurants shows them to still be considerably cheaper than both the UK and Europe.

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Pamela
    I'm not going back I'm afraid, that will have been out last trip out, with rising costs of everything and starting a family soon it will be a long time before we go again and the money would be handy to have now!
    We have had 3 great holidays in Florida though.
    [/quote]

Pamela, never say never.[msnwink]

Just wait until you have your family and you will want to share those memories you have of Florida and give them some of the Magic.
    Graham

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:When we went to Florida in March 2002 the rate was only $1.30/£1.00. Everything still seemed very cheap compared to UK prices.

Even today with the tourist rate around $1.48 and the Market rate at $1.53 a quick perusal of the menus for a couple of my favourite restaurants shows them to still be considerably cheaper than both the UK and Europe.[/quote]I'm puzzled as to how you can make such a statement unless you are comparing the same meal in the same establishment. I could compare 2 meals in restaurants in different parts of the UK and, inevitably, 1 would be cheaper than the other but I couldn't then substantiate a claim that all meals in that locality are cheaper.

What I do know is that last night I had a meal in a Florida restaurant I also visited in both May and September this year. I chose very similar items from the menu and paid about 20% more in Sterling value than I did in September and about 30% more than I had in May. I haven't seen any similar rise in the cost of meals in the UK over that period although it is likely that the plummeting Pound is having the same impact on holiday costs in Europe.

Incidentally, you were seriously overcharged for your dollars in March 2002 because the commercial rate didn't fall to anything like $1.30 that month.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:When we went to Florida in March 2002 the rate was only $1.30/£1.00. Everything still seemed very cheap compared to UK prices.

Even today with the tourist rate around $1.48 and the Market rate at $1.53 a quick perusal of the menus for a couple of my favourite restaurants shows them to still be considerably cheaper than both the UK and Europe.[/quote]I'm puzzled as to how you can make such a statement unless you are comparing the same meal in the same establishment. I could compare 2 meals in restaurants in different parts of the UK and, inevitably, 1 would be cheaper than the other but I couldn't then substantiate a claim that all meals in that locality are cheaper.

What I do know is that last night I had a meal in a Florida restaurant I also visited in both May and September this year. I chose very similar items from the menu and paid about 20% more in Sterling value than I did in September and about 30% more than I had in May. I haven't seen any similar rise in the cost of meals in the UK over that period although it is likely that the plummeting Pound is having the same impact on holiday costs in Europe.

Incidentally, you were seriously overcharged for your dollars in March 2002 because the commercial rate didn't fall to anything like $1.30 that month.
    [/quote]It was around the $1.30 mark can't say it was exactly $1.30 but certainly wasn't as highas $1.40.

Regarding meals, a meal at The Olive Garden, Chilis or TGI Fridays is cheaper than a similar meal at a similar restuarant here such as Frankie and Bennys, Chiquitos or TGI Fridays even with the poor exchange rate.

The fact that you get Soup/Salad included with your entree in a lot of places in the US does make a difference to the price though.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Without doubt, the exchange rates we've been enjoying over the last 2/3 years made everything great value but my experience this week has been that it just isn't the case these days. I fully take your point about soup/salad but it isn't something I'm interested in and I am paying for it within the price even though I don't want it. I'd just finally add that after you've put 9% tax on the bill and paid 15-20% tip, meals are certainly not 'considerably cheaper' in the US at the moment. In fact, I have the clear impression that, on the whole, they have actually become more expensive.

I wish it were otherwise and hope things change but, for the foreseeable future, we're going to have to get used to it I'm afraid.

Florida Expert
    Sorry to disagree but we eat out a lot in the U.K and we have found that it is still far cheaper and better value in Florida, even with the roughly 25% increase due to the fall of the £ against the $.

We have also managed to find just as many great bargains in the Thanksgiving sales this year as last year. [msnsmile2]

Living in Cornwall I know how much our visitors pay for accommodation, food and attractions. Florida although now more expensive still wins hands down as being far better value for money.

Gold 5 Star Member
    IMO there is very little to choose between the price of meals these days by the time you pay tax and a huge 'obligatory' tip.

If you are comparing the value between Cornwall and Florida as a holiday destination then perhaps you should factor in the cost paying £hundreds for the airfare, hiring a car etc for Florida.

People, or at least the vast majority, go to Florida simply for the warm weather and shouldn't justify their trip because meals might be a pound or so cheaper, or that a bargain can be obtained in the sales.

Florida always was an extremely expensive place for Brits to holiday - but the weather is great(usually) - it is now a whole lot more expensive.

Florida Expert
    Robert the cost of getting to Florida wasn't what was being discussed, just the cost of eating out etc while you are there compared to the U.K. I personally feel that I get a lot better value for my money in Florida than I do at home in Cornwall.

Florida is still a much cheaper alternative to other longhaul and most European holiday destinations. Yes overall it is cheaper to stay at home but who would want to, certainly not me!

[msnwink][msncool]