Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katys Grandad View Post
    I don't wish to get involved in the independence debate here but, if it is the reason, why isn't there a corresponding fall against other currencies? The fall against the Euro is nothing like as great.

(Not really a question, more me reminding myself that I shouldn't even attempt to understand this stuff!)
    I heard, KG, but not sure how much I believe it, that the reason behind the Pound vs. the Euro is that the Scottish referendum might also bring some instability within Europe. Regions of Spain and Italy might also consider devolving from each other. The Catalans have been mumbling about devolving from Madrid for what seems like ages now.

One would imagine that the theory is that the Euro might well track down with Sterling.
    Steve

Florida Savvy
    The Markets are suffering "jitters", the potential Yes vote has caused a detrimental effect on Sterling.

TODAY.......1GBP = $1.6204

At the beginning of last week the pound was over $1.64, that's a massive change in one week.

Yet again, George Osborne, yesterday on BBC voiced his "no currency union" mantra. He's been warned to stop it twice by Mark Carney of the Bank of England because the markets don't like it.

As the yes vote becomes more of a reality, the more wobbles we'll see.
    Helen

Gold 5 Star Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thistle1314 View Post

TODAY.......1GBP = $1.6204

At the beginning of last week the pound was over $1.64, that's a massive change in one week.
    I'm seeing the rate below $1.61 today. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see under $1.60 this week.

Well we can all thank Alex Salmond for this! Please vote No to keep the UK together.

Andrena

Florida Chatterbox
    Agree! Vote no!

Quote Originally Posted by andrena View Post
    well we can all thank alex salmond for this! Please vote no to keep the uk together.

Andrena
    Brian

Florida Savvy
    As I suggested in an earlier post you really may want to think about keeping politics out of this. An independent Scotland will still want to book villas. It is businesses you're running after all. I'm sure you'll take any kind of payment as long as it's legal! Also as I mentioned in my earlier post - you may want to get yourself educated on the monetary sides of things and indeed the politics of it all. I have already booked my villa from this forum for this year which is about the 7th I've booked over the years. I've recommended this to numerous family and friends. I really would like to continue to book and recommend so to reiterate, keep politics out of it.
    Helen

Florida Chatterbox

What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

in general I agree this is not the place for politics. However when something this big is happening to the UK it is very difficult to not think about it. history is in the making.

My regret is that something so major that will effect the whole of the UK is only being voted for by a part of the UK.

Super Moderator
    All I will say is I do not understand is the logic behind the voting system - why if you are a Scot but living in anywhere other than Scotland you do no get a vote on something which I would have thought you would have a vested interest - eg those serving in the forces stationed outside Scotland are unable to vote yet every Tom, Dick and Harry from anywhere in the world including English can vote on this if they are living in Scotland

Florida Junior
    The following groups of people can register to vote in the referendum:

• British citizens resident in Scotland.
    • Qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland. This means Commonwealth citizens who either have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave, and are resident in Scotland.
    • Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.
    • Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland.
    • Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the Armed Forces or with Her Majesty’s Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

Hope that clears it up a bit for you!

Gold 5 Star Member
    I think the markets might know something about how the referendum vote is going because there's been a healthy rise in the Pound's value over the past few hours. Of course it could be completely unrelated!!