Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

Gold 5 Star Member

The Pound has strengthened virtually 10% against the US Dollar in the past 2 weeks!

Very nearly $1.50 today.

Ive been watching it avidly over the past few weeks, we fly out next month - shall I buy - should I wait - decisions, decisions.....[msnscared]

Diane.

Buy now...best prices are to be found online. Try Thomas global.

Gold 5 Star Member
    I fear my optimistic post of yesterday may have jinxed it Diane. The Pound had a pretty bad day again today (down 4 cents!). Hopefully, it won't spoil your Captiva experience too much though.[msncool]

Every thing is crossed - fingers, toes, arms, eyes......[msnscared]

Gold 5 Star Member
    I'm beginning to feel personally responsible for this Diane but I'm afraid we've had another 2 cents fall today.

If I put the best spin on it, I'd say that we've already taken the big hit by now and even the most enthusiastic US vacation fans have had to accept that we're all paying a lot more than last year.

BUT - at worst the current levels are only likely to move a few cents either way between now and when you go to Captiva. I really don't see it going to, say, $1.60 but neither do I see it going to below around $1.35 in the short term.

I promise you that when you see that beach, the exchange rate will be the furthest thing from your mind.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad
    I'm beginning to feel personally responsible for this Diane but I'm afraid we've had another 2 cents fall today.

If I put the best spin on it, I'd say that we've already taken the big hit by now and even the most enthusiastic US vacation fans have had to accept that we're all paying a lot more than last year.

BUT - at worst the current levels are only likely to move a few cents either way between now and when you go to Captiva. I really don't see it going to, say, $1.60 but neither do I see it going to below around $1.35 in the short term.

I promise you that when you see that beach, the exchange rate will be the furthest thing from your mind.

-
    After much thought, soul serching and discussion we have decided to cancel our week on Captiva and extend or holiday to 2 weeks in Orlando. [msncry] The reason is when I orginally booked Captiva (nearly 12 months ago)I paid a deposit and didn't think much more about it. But now time has come to pay, (they are an American based company) the price has shot through the roof.[msnsad] Whereas the guy I rent from in Orland is UK based, so his price has stayed the same. [bowwave] So we decided to cut our losses and stay in Orlando. But we are going to drive over to Sanibel / Captiva and book into a Hotel / Motel for a night or to just to give us chance to have a good look round and explore. [cheers] That way, once the pound recovers (if ever!) we will have a good idea where we want to stay. So already thinking of next years hols. [party1] Moral of the story is - If the pound is strong against the dollar pay in full!
    [/quote]

Diane. x

dont worry Phil - Im not blaming you, honest.

Phil & Diane, I think you should both give a very humble public apology....just like the bankers!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Madabouttigger
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

-
    After much thought, soul serching and discussion we have decided to cancel our week on Captiva and extend or holiday to 2 weeks in Orlando. [msncry] The reason is when I orginally booked Captiva (nearly 12 months ago)I paid a deposit and didn't think much more about it. But now time has come to pay, (they are an American based company) the price has shot through the roof.[msnsad] Whereas the guy I rent from in Orland is UK based, so his price has stayed the same. [bowwave] So we decided to cut our losses and stay in Orlando. But we are going to drive over to Sanibel / Captiva and book into a Hotel / Motel for a night or to just to give us chance to have a good look round and explore. [cheers] That way, once the pound recovers (if ever!) we will have a good idea where we want to stay. So already thinking of next years hols. [party1] Moral of the story is - If the pound is strong against the dollar pay in full!
    [/quote]

Diane. x

dont worry Phil - Im not blaming you, honest.

[/quote]

Sorry to hear that Diane but I completely understand. I also rent from a US based Sanibel owner and the £ cost has gone up 55% from last year. Not easy to justify but I've taken the plunge and booked for April/May. Can't see me going anything like as regularly as in the past if the exchange rate stays around these levels. Maybe we'll all get used to it but it's painful at the moment.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by BIGEYE
    Phil & Diane, I think you should both give a very humble public apology....just like the bankers!
    [/quote]

Well I'm certainly very very sorry that the rate is where it is (and that's done without a weekend of input from my PR team[msnsad]).