Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Going on with the Dollar rate???

Gold 5 Star Member
    A rare piece of good news on the £/$ rate this week.

Far from great, but up around $1.44 today and the 4th or 5th day in row that the Pound has risen. Fingers crossed!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

Far from great, but up around $1.44 today and the 4th or 5th day in row that the Pound has risen. Fingers crossed!
    [/quote]

and toes, and arms and legs............[msnscared]

Florida Chatterbox
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Katys Grandad

[/quote]

Oh no KG, I think you cursed it, the rate travel ex are prepared to offer has ended up down on yesterday.......[msncry][msncry]

Oh great lets hope it gets better in the next week or two
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by mfairhurst
    Oh great lets hope it gets better in the next week or two
    MAUREEN
    www.onlinefloridavillas.com/villas/1683.aspx
    [/quote]Not a chance!
    The USA apart from having a shiny new President are much better at talking their economy up than us. Having said that a holiday in Florida is still much better value than a holiday in the UK, plus you get to actually see some sun. I think those that decide to holiday in the UK this year will have a shock. Down here in Cornwall you'd be hard pressed to get a decent caravan for the price of a luxury Florida villa. Add to this the cost of eating out and entertainment (if you can find any on a wet day) and Florida looks positively cheap! And did I mention the sun?!![msnwink][msnsmile2]

Gold 5 Star Member
    What I find surprising is just how volatile the $/£ exchange rate is these days.

In the past you would expect the rate to change by fractions of a cent in a day, with a, say, 2 cent swing most unusual.

In this last week it has gone from 1.39 to above 1.45 on Friday and now down to 1.40.(as I type)

Makes a big difference to those with a really big purchase - like buying a property or bring home the proceeds of a property sale.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:[i]
    The USA apart from having a shiny new President are much better at talking their economy up than us. Having said that a holiday in Florida is still much better value than a holiday in the UK, plus you get to actually see some sun.
    [/quote]

Not today you don't! It's been raining since 0800am!

Jeff & Amy Stephens

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I know I've posted something similar before but there was a programme on ITV last week talking about the value of the pound-they had a family of 6 and looked for a holiday for them in Spain-they found self catering apartments in a block which including flights was coming in at £4200 which was £700 per head.
    We have just booked a 4 bed villa with pool a car and flights with american airlines for mco via chicago for Whit at a total cost of £3839 or £639 per head-to me it's no contest-my daughter went to Paris for the weekend and she was horrified at the prices-5 euros for a coffee- NINE euros for a bottle of Bud-Horrendous!
    Even though the pound/dollar isn't great-you still get more for your buck than you do your euro-we're on countdown!

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Albert the Frog
    I know I've posted something similar before but there was a programme on ITV last week talking about the value of the pound-they had a family of 6 and looked for a holiday for them in Spain-they found self catering apartments in a block which including flights was coming in at £4200 which was £700 per head.
    We have just booked a 4 bed villa with pool a car and flights with american airlines for mco via chicago for Whit at a total cost of £3839 or £639 per head-to me it's no contest-my daughter went to Paris for the weekend and she was horrified at the prices-5 euros for a coffee- NINE euros for a bottle of Bud-Horrendous!
    Even though the pound/dollar isn't great-you still get more for your buck than you do your euro-we're on countdown!
    [/quote]

No contest indeed but only because you aren't comparing like with like. The family on TV were travelling in high season and at that time of year your Orlando flights alone would cost around £650 per head.

The main point about the programme was that the travel prices hadn't actually changed that much but the exchange rate collapse had added about half as much again to holiday spending as last year. That's true in both the Eurozone and countries whose currency is pegged to the US dollar.

Compare what you spend in the US or pretty much anywhere in the world this year with last year and that's where you'll see the huge differences.

Gold 5 Star Member
    There was a time when a fall in interest rates would have triggered a fall in the value of the Pound. Today's cut has actually cause it to strengthen and is pushing $1.46.

6 months ago I Wouldn't have dreamed I'd say this but, viewed in terms of recent weeks, that's not a bad rate!