Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries and camera, Tom Tom

Florida Junior

Batteries and camera, Tom Tom

Hi everyone, just some general questions on power supplies out in Orlando.

Last September we took our Tom Tom Go out with us, with Florida maps on, worked really well until power ran out. It wouldn't charge up with cigarette charger and the mains charger with the alternate US pins did not work either. Was I doing something wrong? Works fine back here in UK. Any advice would really help us.

Also, will take out spare batteries for digital camera with me, but if I need any more (ie my picture taking gets out of control[msnwink]) do you just buy some normal ones from Walmart or Publix? Any brand better than another in USA?

And last enquiry (sorry)[msnembarrased] are you allowed to take a waterproof camera into the water parks? If so which ones? The Disney water parks, Wet n Wild, Aquatica?

Thanks for any advice people give.

Stuart.

Gold 5 Star Member
    Our TT works fine with the US adaptor pin plug and also the cigarette lighter adaptor so dunno what happened to yours.

Camera batteries - it depends on whether your camera has the small round button ones or the usual long AA type ones. You can get well known UK brand name batteries everywhere - Duracell, Ever Ready, etc. If they're the long AA type of batteries, for a camera I'd recommend lithium ones as they last a lot longer. Batteries are cheaper in the US so don't bother to take any with you!
    blott

Gold 5 Star Member
    I always stock up on batteries in Walmart, much cheaper than at home in the UK
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

i took a waterproof camera into wet n wild - dont know bout the other two

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Oceansplasher
    Hi everyone, just some general questions on power supplies out in Orlando.

Last September we took our Tom Tom Go out with us, with Florida maps on, worked really well until power ran out. It wouldn't charge up with cigarette charger and the mains charger with the alternate US pins did not work either. Was I doing something wrong? Works fine back here in UK. Any advice would really help us.

Also, will take out spare batteries for digital camera with me, but if I need any more (ie my picture taking gets out of control[msnwink]) do you just buy some normal ones from Walmart or Publix? Any brand better than another in USA?

And last enquiry (sorry)[msnembarrased] are you allowed to take a waterproof camera into the water parks? If so which ones? The Disney water parks, Wet n Wild, Aquatica?

Thanks for any advice people give.

Stuart.
    [/quote]
    Tomtom should definitely charge for cigarrete lighter as it's 12v just like in UK. Maybe the socket in your car was not working?

Tomtom mains chargers are multi-voltage and also should work fine in USA. Mine even came with multiple adaptors that connect into the main charger, so I don't even need an external adaptor. But if it's one of the newer Tomtoms that charge via the mini-USB socket, you should be able to use any USB charger (very cheap, especially in USA) or even charge from a PC via USB cable if you have access to one
    Keith

Eagle Pointe, Florida, & Swanland, East Yorkshire
    Many of the cars from Car Hire companies have the cigarette lighters disabled, they remove the fuses.

Don't ask me why maybe they don't like the idea of drivers smoking. They usually remove the cigarette lighters as well.

I have had a few cars which were not working and I must admit after a long flight I am not usually in the mood to start checking the cig lighters.

I have no problem charging items from the mains though.
    Graham

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Mr G
    Many of the cars from Car Hire companies have the cigarette lighters disabled, they remove the fuses.
    [/quote]
    I must say that fortunately I've never had that problem
    Keith

Why not buy one of the charger and batteries from Walmart for the camera, use the extra strength 2100 or 2500 ones These are really cheap here.
    Jan

If they've got 'em in stock, Lidls sell 2500 Li-on AA or AAA rechargeables for £1.99 for 4 !!
    Get batts in UK & a charger in Wal-Mart....

Took my Tom Tom last year,had no problems with charging using the regular cigarette lighter adapter it came with.