Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avoiding catching cold when going to Florida

Florida Junior

avoiding catching cold when going to Florida

Hi all

This may seem like an odd one and sorry of it has no place on these baords but I have a question.
    We have been to Florida twice already now the 1st time for 2 weeks and the last time for 3 weeks and are going out there again this year in Oct for 3 weeks. I can't wait however I sem to come down with a cold about a week after being there. Does anyone else suffer from this or are there any tips to avoid it. It makes me feel rubbish.....I was putting it down to catching it on the plane but no one else has ever seemed to suffer. I do take multi vitamins etc....last time the doc even gave me a course of anti biotics beause I was worried it would ruin my holiday...I still caught the cold?

Anyone??

Florida Expert
    You are by far not alone with this scenario. I would imagine 75% of people to go to Florida end up with a cold or at least the sniffles.

Frankly I don't think there is an answer. Yes, catching it on the plane is a strong possibility but my view is - you have written as a female. What do you do the weeks before you travel - you sort out the house, the cat/dog, perhaps parents, certainly the husband and any children.

You pack, you organise and lo and behold on the day of travelling you turn up at the correct airport with the correct number of people with the correct documentation. Don't tell me you are not fairly exhausted before you start?

You are an easy target for anything going around. Delegate, take it easy, it is your holiday as well, be as relaxed as you can before you go and when you have found out how to do that let the rest of us know!!!

Have a great time in October, it is a lovely time of the year to go.
    Clare R

There are some swab type things you can buy in Walmart when you are there - at least for the return journey. I can't think for the life of me what they are called but someone on here will remember. You wipe them inside your nose before flying and they really seem to help.

Sandra

I agree with Clare, adrenaline is a great way to keep the bugs at bay. Christmas is another time when people get lurgies. Again this is due to all the stress and busy stuff we do in the run up. Then we finally relax when we get to the big day and wham [msnsad]
    Shirley

Florida Junior
    thanks all. No kids but I am left to pack for myself and my hubby, sort out the dog with family who will look after her, make sure all the booking is done for the whole party, ensure we have all the docs etc...you are so right!
    I will look out for those swabs when we are out there...I did buy all my cold remedies in Walmart the last time we were there!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Clare R
    You are by far not alone with this scenario. I would imagine 75% of people to go to Florida end up with a cold or at least the sniffles.

Frankly I don't think there is an answer. Yes, catching it on the plane is a strong possibility but my view is - you have written as a female. What do you do the weeks before you travel - you sort out the house, the cat/dog, perhaps parents, certainly the husband and any children.

You pack, you organise and lo and behold on the day of travelling you turn up at the correct airport with the correct number of people with the correct documentation. Don't tell me you are not fairly exhausted before you start?

You are an easy target for anything going around. Delegate, take it easy, it is your holiday as well, be as relaxed as you can before you go and when you have found out how to do that let the rest of us know!!!

Have a great time in October, it is a lovely time of the year to go.
    [/quote]

How right you are Clare [msnsmile2]
    Alison and Danny

Gold 5 Star Member
    One of the best tips I have seen is to make sure you keep your Vitamin C leavels up in the weeks running up to your holiday whether its taking asupplement or making sure your diet is rich in Vitamin C as it boost the immune system and helps to ward off infections.

To be honest I am really surprised your doctor gave you a course of antibiotics if you didnt have an infection of some sort already as they are constantly saying about them being overprescribed leading to ineffectiveness and they wont help with a cold anyway as its caused by a virus and not a bacteria.

Incidentally we have foudn since my daughter noticed it that sitting at the back of the plane makes youu feel worse. She always developed a bad throat after we started sitting in the rear rows and when she flew alone started choosing seats further forward and found it was better so we all try and get around the middle if we can now.

It makes sense when you think about it because the recycled air goes from front to back so it is staler a
    (and possible contains nore germs) than where it first blown out.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Expert
    It could also be the changes in temperature .. out in the sunshine and back into air-con etc. At night time, try keep the air con a little warmer than through the day.
    Mary

I use First Defence and that normally works for me.

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by SDJ
    There are some swab type things you can buy in Walmart when you are there - at least for the return journey. I can't think for the life of me what they are called but someone on here will remember. You wipe them inside your nose before flying and they really seem to help.

Sandra
    [/quote]

Sandra, is it the Zicam swabs you are thinking of?

Never tried them myself but I know several people have, and swear by them. They are also meant to shorten the life of a cold if you use them at the first sign of a cold.

Generally if you get enough rest prior to travel; wash hands frequently; avoid touching the eyes and face; avoid alcohol; and drink lots of fluids on the plane these may help lessen the chances of a cold once in Florida.
    Rosie