Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance

Thread: Cordless Telephones

Florida Junior

Cordless Telephones

Does anyone know for sure, if a set of house phones bought over here would work back in the uk? I know the voltage could be a problem but I can get around that by using the appropriate supply (9v in the case of the set I am looking at), not sure but I think I would need to change the plug on the end of the telephone cable, again not a problem but would it work in UK?

Thanks
    JohnA

Florida Expert
    Not sure about cordless ones John, but we use a corded one bought in the USA... and that works fine.

Hopefully someone will be able to help...

We bought some phones nearly 30 years ago, the wired type, but then there was no choice in those days We changed the cable plug and they worked for years
    Shirley

Florida Junior
    Thanks for the replies. I thought they would work ok with a bit of tweeking. The cordless side of things will be ok and they receive the signal from the base unit.

John
    JohnA

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    John

I am not sure exactly why you would want to bring a cordless phone home with you, when they are just as cheap here. but each to their own.
    CERI

Worth checking the frequencies too - I'm not sure if the frequencies allocated to cordless phones and the like are the same both sides of the pond. You might get interference or (at worst) be illegal.

As Ceri said, why not just buy them in the UK and be sure it'll work?
    Keith

Florida Newbie
    I agree with sniff. you have to be careful about the frequency they transmit on , just like the old C.B. radios that I bought in the 1980's from the U.S. you could get in a heap of trouble for using them in the U.K., because they transmitted on the same frequencies as some of our emergency services....[msneek]

Florida Junior
    I can get a Dect 6.0 3 pack for about 30.00 uk here in US. Checked the freq and they transmit on 1.9 GHz globaly so looks like a bargain to me.
    Already saved 100uk on a set of surround speakers for my brother and 140uk on a fishfinder for myself. I can sniff out the bargains[msnwink]

JohnA