Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learner Golfer

Florida Newbie

Learner Golfer

Hello everybody, loving this forum.
    I wonder if anyone can help me, I am going away in SIX weeks (can't wait) and thought as a form of relaxation, in between visiting the parks, I would like to knock a few golf balls around. I haven't played a round for years but now and again I do go to the driving range and whack a few balls (well mainly fresh air really). What I would like to know is are there any driving ranges in Orlando or any courses that cater for novices. Also will you be able to hire a set of clubs.

There are lots (I'm sure the golfers will be here soon to tell you where) and you can hire clubs at most places. My husband had some lessons on the driving range and a round at Southern Dunes. He had never even tried golf before this.
    Shirley

Florida Chatterbox
    Highlands Reserve have a driving range and just up the road is Polo Park which is a short course - 9 holes I think which is ideal for novices
    Brian

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by bmitch
    Highlands Reserve have a driving range and just up the road is Polo Park which is a short course - 9 holes I think which is ideal for novices
    [/quote]Spot on, both courses are great for learners.
    Regards, Mark

Florida Chatterbox Anthony Brook's Avatar
    I took my wife on the driving range at Southern Dunes (after one of the lovely breakfasts they do in the clubhouse) followed by a round. This was the first time (and last with me[msneek]) she had ever picked up a golf club. I let her play off the front tees and I think she mangaged about 20 points

20 points at Southern Dunes is good for a novice.
    Regards, Mark

Florida Chatterbox
    I think most courses have a range in florida, I would check out the one nearest you for a bit of practice!
    Andy

Florida Newbie
    Thanks everyone, looks like Highlands Range and Southern Dunes are the ones. I take it you can hire clubs there even for the dring range?

Florida Chatterbox Anthony Brook's Avatar
    The club rental is $25 at Southern Dunes and I don't see any reason why you can't use them on the range. Shame you are not going out there a bit sooner as I have a spare set at the villa you could have borrowed.

The 20 points the wife got consisted of a 5 pointer on the 10th. Good drive, topped 2nd with loads of top spin to the edge of the green and then 1 putt[msnoo]

Got the kids having lessons with our local pro so hopefully they will be able to give me a game in a year or so.

Florida Newbie
    Thanks for the thought Anthony, I guess I can always ask the owner of the villa we are renting if they have a spare set...........didn't think of that. Out of interest, and I know I am showing my ignorance but how does the points system work. I thought it was all birdies pars and albatross'?

Another question, hopefully a bit more sensible, I quite like the idea of having a proper golfing lesson or two, do you think I will be able to arrange some golf lessons while I am there or should I try and book them now? Oh and are they expensive?

Thanks everyone