Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide Books

Florida Junior

Guide Books

Which guide books would you recommend for a total US (never mind Orlando) virgin? I rely on this site - of course - and I've got the Brits Guide which is great, but I was also wondering about the Unofficial Guide and the Beyond Disney Unofficial Guide (shame it's not all in one book) and also the Passporter looks interesting.

I could probably have one suitcase just full of guide books!
    Jane

Gold 5 Star Member
    Hi Jane,

I love any books or maps about Orlando and Florida, I now have quite a collection and yes, I could fill a suitcase with them[msnwink]
    In my opinion the Brits Guide is still the best one, much better than any of the unofficial guides or Beyond Disney books.

You will also pick up lots of handy tips and advice reading this forum.
    Lynne

[url]http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1507.aspx[/url]

Florida Expert
    The Brit's Guide ('a Brit's Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World') for us too every time Jane, it's way ahead of the rest and updated every year. Just a shame you can't buy it still in the USA (Disney copyright to blame) altough you can get it through Amazon. If you have this guide you won't really need any others for the area.

Although the Brit's Guide does venture farther than it's name implies, if you want a general Florida Guide then the DK Eyewitness Travel series, 'Florida' is excellent. Lots of general information on the State with brief history and more plus gorgeous photos and illustrations.

If you're into natural history then the National Audubon Society Field guide to Florida is a must have. It's a small book packed full of everything you could possibly want to know. Not only does it have colour photos so you can recognise everything from fish to plants, it also has information on habitats, weather, the night sky, parks & preserves and more.

With these three guides you'll have everything covered [msnwink]

Have a great holiday, I'm sure like the rest of us you'll soon be back for more of what this amazing place has to offer. [msncool]

Florida Junior
    Thanks for that Lynne & Nina, I think I'll stick with the Brits Guide as a main book (it's rather well thumbed already) but those others you've suggested look interesting - particularly the Field guide since I'm an environmental scientist!
    Jane

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by JaneB
    Thanks for that Lynne & Nina, I think I'll stick with the Brits Guide as a main book (it's rather well thumbed already) but those others you've suggested look interesting - particularly the Field guide since I'm an environmental scientist!
    [/quote]
    In that case you might also like Floridas Fabulous Natural places.
    Babblin Boo

Florida Savvy
    Hi Jane

Before you go out and buy all those books recommended, why not try your local library. They are always my first port of call, and I have even persuaded them a couple of times to buy a book I was interested in into stock!

If you are staying in a villa, you could ask the owner whether they have any guide books in the villa. We have a shelf full of books which we and other guests have left at the end of our stays.

Sandra

We also bought a Frommers book this year which was good too. (Brits guide still our fav too),
    Team Thomson

Florida Expert
    Brits guide for me too and you can sign up for emails one a month which is good reading too. I dont think you can go wrong with this book.
    Nikki D

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Totally sad i know but i subscribe to a number of podcasts that i listen to on my ipod that describe places to go,things to look out for, the rides etc-try it- it's great--my favourite is zipadeedopod-guess what parks that's about!![msnwink]

Florida Junior
    Got the Audubon Guide as suggested by Nina - it's a lovely book and spent a good few hours trying to learn it from cover to cover since it arrived yesterday (work? what's that?) Thanks Nina - I'd never have found that otherwise.

Sorry Sandra, I couldn't get them from a library - I need guidebooks to read for weeks beforehand and bring back memories for years after!
    Jane