Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving and Flights

Florida Newbie

Driving and Flights

Hi thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome at the site. I have a few questions, the first one is this will be the first time me and my husband have ever drove abroad (let alone the USA), Where can we get a hand book on the rules over there. As someone has mentioned to me that even when the light is on red you can still turn right. The second question is we are flying with Virgin but have recently heard some negative things about this airline such as long delays and staff being rude. Is this true or just Gossip. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Sally

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Sally

We have a specific driving section to help you out, as well as a flying section as well.

With any airline they will be subject to delays, thats just part of the course, and as you will find on the flying thread, everyone has differing opinions on all different airlines.
    CERI

Florida Expert
    Hi Sally,
    If you have hired your car through Dollar they give you a booklet when you pick your car up with the most important points to remember when driving in Florida like turning on a red etc. I have just returned and you are wellcome to the booklet if you would like it. If you would like me to send you the booklet please DM me your address and I will send it to you then you can read through it before you go. We flew with Virgin last year and the flights were fine, but as we do not usually fly with them I can`t really comment on them. Let me know about the booklet ie, if you want it or not.

Norma.
    http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-38.aspx

We always flew with Virgin when we lived in England and never had any problems.

andrew
    http://www.orlandovillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-1338.aspx

Florida Newbie
    Hi Norma,

That would be great. Thank you very much. I must admit we are more than a little nervous about driving over there. How should i send you my home address? You have mentioned DM, but i'm sorry i don't know what that means.

Florida Newbie
    Hi Norma,

Thanks for the offer, but i have just found out that the lady i have booked the villa from has a copy and she is going to post it to me, along with some documents. But Thank you again for the very kind offer.

Sally

Florida Expert
    Most people on here mention that they enjoy driving in Florida much more than in uk. Once you pick up the few tips and rules I am sure you will enjoy the driving.

It might be a good idea to hire a sat nav too, that makes it easier for you to concentrate.
    Mary

Hi Sally - dont worry about driving, it is really quite easy, just take your time and read up on the rules before you go. A sat nav is a brilliant idea if you are feeling a little worried. You will get lost a few times, every one does, but a lot of the drivers in Orlando are people on holiday, just like you and we found most drivers to be really courtious.

We always fly from Manchester with Virgin and haven't had any problems at all. Dont forget your on line check in - it's brilliant, and sign up for air miles then you can discount your next trip.

Have fun planning your trip.

Diane.

Super Moderator
    Sally you have just mentioned a good reason for booking a villa direct from the owner rather than through a third party when you said

"the lady i have booked the villa from has a copy and she is going to post it to me, along with some documents"

It is doubtful you would be able to get that kind of help through a third party booking.

Gold 5 Star Member
    With reference to the 'turn right on red' rule.

I heard, 'second hand' that a German visitor thought that rule gave him the priority to turn right on a red traffic light i.e. other traffic gave way!!!!!

So in case anyone else is under any misapprehension about the rule - you can indeed turn right, but you must give way to traffic coming from your left.