Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disabled Parking - Apply in Advance

Florida Expert

Disabled Parking - Apply in Advance

If you use a blue UK disabled parking permit and therefore need a US temporary permit to use whilst you are on holiday in Florida then you can now apply by post in advance of your holiday so that you are set to go when you are there.

This is taken from Simon Veness (author of A Brit's guide to Orlando.)

<span style="color:blue">British visitors CAN now apply, officially and properly, in advance, by mail for the temporary disabled parking permit.

The Osceola CVB have realised it was a confusing situation and, as they are a government body like the local tax office, have liaised directly with their head tax office to authorise written requests, that will then send the necessary permit back by return mail.

It ideally needs to be sent by certified mail (i.e. so that someone signs for it on receipt at the tax office), and it must include a money order for $15 (or credit card details, see below), a copy (both sides) of your UK blue disabled badge, and a copy of your personal details in your passport (the last pages). But, once you have that done, put them all in an envelope

1) Copy of your UK disabled badge (both sides)
    2) Copy of your photo ID from your passport
    3) Money order for $15 payable to Osceola County Tax Collector

And send it to:

Tag Department
    Osceola Tax Collector
    2501 E Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway
    Kissimmee
    Florida 34744
    USA

You should allow for at least 4 weeks for the process to be completed and it will be valid for a full 6 months.

The phone number there is 407 742 4000 and fax 407 742 3995.

You can still apply in person, and the office hours are 8am-4.30pm Mon-Fri.

Oh, and here is the confirmation in their official document:

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A TEMPORARY PARKING PERMIT BY A CITIZEN OF ANOTHER COUNTRY:

Administratively, a temporary disabled parking permit may be issued to a citizen of another country who is here in a visitor status. The following must be verified:

• A copy of the out-of-country parking permit. If the permit has two sides, copy both sides.
    • Visually see a passport or comparable identification to verify ownership of the out-of country parking permit. A Florida driver license or ID card is not required.

NOTE: One valid temporary parking permit may be issued for up to 6 months. The fee is $15.

Here is some additional info supplied by the Osceola County CVB:

1) The Osceola Tax Collector pays the postage fee for the mailing from the US to the UK. UK applicants do not have to provide an extra fee for postage.
    2) They suggest to get the application in 4 weeks prior to the trip. The office has a 1-2 day turnaround on the applications but they said to allow for the extra time just in case.
    3) They require a U.S. money order for $15 made to the Osceola County Tax Collector. Applicants can pay by credit card. They ask that applicants provide name on the credit card, credit card number, and expiration date. There is an additional $2 fee charged for applicants using their credit cards.</span id="blue">

Hope this helps everyone. [msnsmile]

Gold 5 Star Member
    It's really easy to get one when you arrive and takes only about ten mins or so of your holiday time at the local Tag & Tax Office. The temporary Florida disabled permits are red and not blue like the 'ordinary' US ones and have an expiry date on them (so you can't use them every time you go to Florida in the future).

It needs to be said, however, that the blue British disabled badge is no longer valid in Florida - this is because Britain isn't a reciprocal agreement country and doesn't acknowledge US ones for US visitors to Britain.

If you park in a Florida disabled bay with a UK blue disabled badge, you can be fined the amount stated on the sign in front of you, which can range from $150 - $450.
    blott

Florida Chatterbox
    My mother has a UK blue badge and I have applied for the US version for our last 2 visits to Orlando (Nov '07 and April '08). Just follow the instructions outlined above, send off the letter, etc and the tag will arrive in your mail a couple of weeks later. It is a red 'tag' which you hang from the rear view mirror in your car. The second time I applied, the cheque was returned to me as not required - not sure why I did not have to pay, but not complaining! The beauty of these tags is that they are much more visible than the UK blue badge.

CLAIRE
    http://www.villasflorida.com/florida-vacation-rental-572.aspx

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Claire
    The second time I applied, the cheque was returned to me as not required - not sure why I did not have to pay, but not complaining! [/quote]I didn't have to pay for my second one at the Tag & Tax office either - again, not sure why but didn't argue! [msnwink]
    blott

good job i read this!!!! best get sending mine off!!
    Liesa

dont want to appear thick but guess its to late for that[:I] where do i get a US money order from? im trying to send my application off all copies ready but not sure about the money order as i have never had to do one before
    any advice greatly received thanks
    Liesa

Florida Expert
    Liesa, I would imagine that from non US applicants they would mean some sort of International Money Order which you can get from a Bank, but from memory they are quite expensive. You can give your credit card details to them to pay that way instead, (Point 3 at the bottom of the original post.)and they only charge you $2 which will be cheaper.

Hope this helps [msnsmile]

thanks, ummm we dont use a credit card....what about debit card?
    Liesa

Florida Expert
    I should imagine that you can use that instead of a credit card.

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by blott
    It's really easy to get one when you arrive and takes only about ten mins or so of your holiday time at the local Tag & Tax Office.
    [/quote]

[msnwink]

<span style="color:blue">(please ignore info below it's for property tax I think)</span id="blue">

tag and tax office

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...ollectors.html

Honorable Earl K. Wood
    Orange County Tax Collector Suntrust Center
    200 S. Orange Ave., Ste 1500
    Orlando, FL 32801
    ekw@octaxcol.com
    407-836-2709
    407-836-2730 FAX

Honorable Patsy Heffner
    Osceola County Tax Collector P.O. Box 422105
    2501 E. Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy.
    Kissimmee, FL 34744
    phef@osceola.org
    407-742-4000
    407-742-4036 FAX

first one seems to be near church street station and second seems to be near st. cloud
    tezz 7628