Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping

I agree if he had demanded more from me I would have said fine don't have anything then! I also agree we almost always tip 20% unless the service was particularly poor and most waiters/waitresses don't even bother to say thank you. You would think that if we have such a bad reputation for tipping when they got a decent tip they would say thank you.

Florida Chatterbox
    What happens though when service is so bad , and they dont deserve a tip at all ? I,m only asking because my son was in Florida last week and went to Chillis at Championsgate , he is a Hotel manager so is well aware of good and bad service.
    He went for a meal with 7 adults and 2 kids so the service charge was added automatically .
    He said it was the worst service he had every seen in over 12 years of going to Florida , ie took over 10 mins for drink order to be taken , drinks were banged down on the table after it was mentioned , while eating their starter the main course arrived , the waitress put the main courses on another table and told them to go and get them when they had finished their starter??????.
    My son had a discreet word about the waitress to the manager , who said he would speak to her , but when she came to the table she barked at one of the children for spilling a little juice .
    The result was the bill came with a $52 service charge , so the party said they would not pay , the manager then said if they didn,t pay he could call the sherriff to which the party said ,on you go , after standing about for 15 mins they accepted the bill MINUS THE $52 but said they would not be served again.
    I am horrified at this attitude ,as we go over 3 times a year to our villa , but this is the first time this party [ apart from my son] had does this tell visitors to Florida ?

Gold 5 Star Member
    If it was ever the case that tipping was a means of acknowledging good service, thos days ended a long time ago. That story again highlights the fact that so-called 'tips' are nothing more than a hefty additional charge for service, whatever the quality of it.

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Chili's is a franchise owned by the same people that own Tony Romarios-I'd be inclined to complain to the holding company---Home Office Address & Main Phone Number:
    Brinker Family Restaurants
    6820 LBJ Freeway
    Dallas, TX 75240
    (972) 980-9917

Gold 5 Star Member
    Definitely write the parent company and complain about your service and subsequent treatment. My family had a similar problem in a Pizza Hut (not in FL), and after writing to the company, got coupons for complimentary pizzas from them.

As for them saying that they would not serve you in the future, I think I would have told them they would never again have the opportunity in that restaurant!
    Teresa

Florida Chatterbox
    Thanks for the info , I think I will just do that , I think it is ridiculas that you can go for a meal and they add $52 for a tip ,
    You would never get anyone leaving a 26.00 tip in the U.K unless you were made of money

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote: , the manager then said if they didn,t pay he could call the sherriff to which the party said ,on you go , after standing about for 15 mins they accepted the bill MINUS THE $52 but said they would not be served again.
    [/quote]

Call the Sheriff? Is the service charge enforceable?
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member Cruella DeVilla's Avatar
    Probably just chanching it because they were tourists?

It has gone to the dogs in there recently...............
    CDV

Florida Expert
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Call the Sheriff? Is the service charge enforceable?
    [/quote]

The service charge is enforceable because somewhere in Chilis I'm sure it's posted. That would be the judge's indication that you knew the service charce was applicable when you entered the establishment.
    Jeff & Amy Stephens

As far as I remember a service charge is optional even if automatically added to the bill.

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by flyrr100
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Call the Sheriff? Is the service charge enforceable?
    [/quote]

The service charge is enforceable because somewhere in Chilis I'm sure it's posted. That would be the judge's indication that you knew the service charce was applicable when you entered the establishment.
    [/quote]