Orlando Villas · Florida Dream Villa
Orlando Park Tickets · Florida Car Hire · US Domestic Car Rental · Florida Car Rental · Enhanced Roadside Assistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Key West / Florida Keys

Key West / Florida Keys

Considering splitting our holiday in August between Captiva and The Keys. We have never got very far down through the Keys in the past and wondered is Key West a place where you could stay for a week (they have some nice villas for rent) or is it more suitable for a day or two visit?

Bearing in mind 4 kids with us 17, 13, 10, 6.

I read mixed reports - not particularly children friendly; too hot; no good unless you're into diving. On the other hand, if staying for a week, we would take a villa with a private pool so would spend the time between doing nothing at all at the pool and eating out in the evening, with occasional touristy trips in between.

Any thoughts from experienced Florida Keysians?
    Tonish

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Peter

We love the keys. My kids are now 15 and 12, but have been down there when they were 13 and 10.

August will be quite hot, but so is Orlando, I found it fine with the kids, there was so much more to keep us occupied, did the usual tourist spots etc, and throughly loved just chilling by the pool as well, although we have not been in August, we did both Christmas and then a last year New Years. I would not go down the Keys New Years Eve again, although if you are a party animal it would be a blast, just not my cup of tea. I love the laid back attitude in the Keys so different to Orlando, even though Floridian is a chill zone itself, the Key West is like 5 steps back more "cool dude"[msnwink]
    CERI

Gold 5 Star Member
    We love the keys and the kids always talk about that holiday. We stayed in Key West and Islamorada, which is the middle of the keys. Very quiet and relaxing after Orlando.
    Jan&Steve

Florida Junior
    i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ?

Hampton Lakes/Highlands Reserve, USA.. Cardiff, South Wales, UK.
    Steve

It is slightly more than that. From cocoa beach started at 8.00am we got all the way down to key west at 6.30pm we did a pit stop or two along the way. But generally was a non-stop drive.

It may not look overly that long in miles, but as you reach the keys, there are restricted speed limits, as some of the roads are only one lane either side wide, and also some of way is in state reserves.
    CERI

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ? [/quote]

'fraid not. It's about 4 hrs to Miami then another 3.5 to 4 hrs to Key West, although a lot of the other Keys are much closer to Miami.

That's the reason we've not made it to Key West yet!
    Tonish

Florida Junior
    ah[msnembarrased] thanks for that Tonish might think again

Gold 5 Star Member
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Originally posted by Tonish
    <blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ? [/quote]

'fraid not. It's about 4 hrs to Miami then another 3.5 to 4 hrs to Key West, although a lot of the other Keys are much closer to Miami.

[/quote]

If you're going to Captiva first, you could catch the catamaram from Fort Myers to Key West. Personally I think a full week in Key West might be a long time. Just a personal view, but it won't be much different to Captiva although both are a world away from the Orlando experience (actually I prefer Captiva to both).

You could of course keep your rental on Captiva and take the catamaram to key West for a couple of days to have a look for the future. Your call!!

<blockquote id="quote" class="ffs">quote:Katys Grandad Posted - 21 Apr 2008 : 19:14:43

quote:
    Originally posted by Tonish

quote:
    MrCake Posted - 20 Apr 2008 : 18:26:35
    i haven't been but planning on going next trip i hear it's about 4 hours drive from orlando is that right ?

If you're going to Captiva first, you could catch the catamaram from Fort Myers to Key West. Personally I think a full week in Key West might be a long time. Just a personal view, but it won't be much different to Captiva although both are a world away from the Orlando experience (actually I prefer Captiva to both).

You could of course keep your rental on Captiva and take the catamaram to key West for a couple of days to have a look for the future. Your call!! [/quote]

That's exactly what we decided yesterday. But we'd be in Key West without a car??
    Tonish

Gold 5 Star Member
    If you aren't going out of KW to the other keys during the time you're there, having a car is a hindrance.